Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Generator Question

Looked for the Westerbeke used...as you said hard to find. I'm still looking at this Onan I posted above. If I could get it cheap, make sure it works I may be able to deal with it. I emailed the guy and he said its an 65mcck-1a-2268f 1800 rpm, so its the quiter type. I'm pretty good with the motors as is my dad, who is good at everything mechanical. We could probably fix most of it if there are any problems...I'm just looking for additional opinions. If I get a new one it won't be now. I'll have to wait, but it sure would be nice to be able to get one for those hot summer days I need the AC while doing an overnighter!

Anyone on the board want to sell me one? Diesel is out of the question because I have gas engines.

Forgot...the Onan I spoke of is located in NY, I can go pick it up. No shipping required.
    Last edited by Jackman; 04-04-2006 at 06:25 PM.

your lucky day......????
    I have good running takeout 4 kw westerbeke gas generator
    it is in marathon fla....
    looking for reasonable offer
    I can bring north with me in june....toledo ohio
    dbleagle58yf@cs.com
    or 419-297-4656--cell

we just put in new diesals and also have 2-454 engines

bill

Email me with what you think its worth (jrs8818@msn.com). Do you have pictures ect? What will 4kw allow me to power? What is its rpm rating?
    Last edited by Jackman; 04-04-2006 at 07:26 PM.

Jack,

I'm not sure about the gas Onans but we got rid of our older diesel Onan because of poor parts availability.

Jack,

I would call these guys if I were you. http://www.algroversmarine.com/ They do re-powers, maybe they have something that would work for you. I've had several of those old Onan 2 cyl 6.5 generators. They always served me well but seemed to have fuel issues once in a while.

Tony D

the 4kw Westerbeke will run everyting you need on a boat that size. I have a 4kw onan on my 34c an it runs the ac, hot water , frig, lights etc. hot water only uses 1000 wats, 20k btu ac about 1400 running, frig 200 wats max so you see it is hard to load it up.

Since I'm looking at generators and planning to purchase one I was thinking of putting in the required thru hull fittings now, ahead of time before I put the boat in so I don't have to pull it again. What are typical exhaust and intake requirements for a 4kw or 6.5kw generator? (I do not plan on anything larger than 6.5, would like a good 4kw if I find one...possibly double eagle's.)
    Last edited by Jackman; 04-05-2006 at 11:25 AM.

A good running used 4kw Westerbeke sounds like the perfect match for your boat. I'd leap on it. What it's worth depends on age and actual hours. The 8kw that I bought was 13 years old at the time and had documented 430 hours or so running time on it. It also arrived with the remote panel, wiring harness, the hour meter and the muffler for $2500. It looked like brand new because it was from a motor yacht and had never seen any weather as some gen's do when under the aft deck on a sportfish boat. The 8kw was over kill for my boat but I bought it anyway. It was so quiet that when it was running, with the air on in the salon you could not hear the Gen which was right under your feet. The blower for the air drowned out what little noise the Gen made. It was great!

the 4kw westerbeke does not come with the panel/wiring. Do you guys know of a good source for what I need to get this unit installed in my boat? The generator is the only thing for sale. I'm sure I need lots to go with it. Strainers, intake and exhause fittings, wiring/ control panel, pan, (need a sound shield for this one?). Ect. I'd like to shop at one place for this stuff if I can get away with it.

Gotta add all the extras in before I decide on whether to go with it or not. I don't have a clue of everything I need over the generator other than what I listed.

Thanks,

Jack

How is your panel set up is the thing! Is it ready for a generator? If you need the switch for a gen and two shore cords, wire and breakers It adds up into the Hundred real quick look into that end also. I am lucky and my new panel can handle it I just needed to buy the wire. I just got a sweet deal Onan 8k diesel 1984 1000 hrs run sweet with muffler, hoses, battery and cables $1500.00 Oh yeah I had too remove it which took about 1 hr and it does need a paint job but it not to bad
    I am looking for a manual if anyone has one or is willing to make a copy I will pay them for it
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>