Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Generator Question

My most recent project is to save the $$ to get a new gas generator. But, I've been really tempted to pickup a used generator (6.5KW) for my 32FB because there seem to be a lot of deals floating around because of boat show purchases. Is this such a good idea? Where is the cutoff between what is salvageable, reliable or rebuildable? Should I just wait to get the new one? What name brand show I lean towards and what vintage if I buy used?

So many questions...do I really want yet another project?

Re: Generator Question

the 6.5 onan is a workhorse. it will run forever, almost... that being said,
    EVERYTHING on it is expensive to repair or replace and it is difficult to find people who want to touch them for that reason.

jim
    Jim

SALTY
    1973 38' AFT CABIN

there are only a few choices of gas gens in this size . they are 3600rpms and 1800 rpms. guess which is quieter and will last longer. the only company making the 1800 is Westerbeke,,big bucks. the Kohler is a noisy 3600 light weight thing. herd one in a neighbors boat, man is it loud. of course that is my opinion, I have an old Onan 4.0 MCCK, it is much quieter than the Kohler. It runs strong and is very easy to work on. Parts may be hard to find and will become harder as time comes. so if you find one to buy, recommend an overhaul now. Before you break it down, find out what parts are available. Recommend pulling intake, exhaust and heads. do valve job,then pull winding and install new brushes and saw the mica. replace bearings if possible, rebuild the carb, very easy and then use the thing for the next 10yrs.

the only up side to the Kohler is size, it is very small and the 5.0 weighs less than 220 lbs. the onan 6.5 is going to tip the scales at about 430lbs or more. think my 4.0 is 419lbs, same exact engine as 6.5 but 6.5 has bigger winding.

What about Onan? I see a lot of them used. Like this one for instance....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ONAN-...27592478QQrdZ1
    Last edited by Jackman; 04-03-2006 at 09:24 PM.

Kohler had advertised a new small, light weight and quite generator at the Miami boat show. They claimed that it was extremely quite, that the emissions were super low and the weight was lower. The price was also supposed to be reasonable. I don't know. But if they work like they say. It might be worth the wait. I would check there prices for a new state of the art. Before I bought an old relic and spent a ton of money on new parts to fix an old unit. Kohler was sure proud of them. Sounded like they only improved the gas versions though. My 30yr old diesel Onan 7.5kw just keeps on tic-ken.

BILL

I was warned to avoid the models that run at higher RPM's.

A few years back I purchased a 10 year old used gas Westerbeke 8kw with 450 hours on it. It came out of a Sea Ray repowering to diesel. I paid $2500. for it and sold my antique but still running 25 year old Onan for $1200. Made me a happy camper! Check with yards that do gas to diesel repowers. They are a treasure trove for this type stuff.

2 - 3 years ago i looked into replacing my 6.5 onan with a kohler. i seem to remember it beeing an 8kw, turned 3600rpm, was much lighter than the onan.
    the price was in the neighborhood of 5 - 6k with me installing it. as i said before, when the 6.5 runs (which is most of the time) it's a great machine. but when things go wrong, everything on it seems to start at $100.00 and escalate quickly. hope this helps.

jim
    Jim

SALTY
    1973 38' AFT CABIN

The kohler uses a light weight aluminum yamaha motor that turns 3600 rpms. cant see how that is going to be quiet. sound shield cuts down some noise but it still is going to be loud. The low co version is simply a fuel injected motor with a catalyst in the exhaust. Westerbeke is 100lbs heavier but they claim it sounds like a bilge blower. Westerbeke turns 1800 rpms.

So if I was going to get an older one and rebuild I should go Westerbeke? I'm not quite sure I want to drop 7k for a new one right now. I guess I have to think about this one for a moment. For the few of you out there who may have 32's what do you use for a generator? Do you have it located under where the fishbox would be?

Problem is it is rare to find used westerbeke.