Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: Generator Question

Dan, with an 8kw unit are you concerned about not having enough load on. With my 6.5kw, I have to turn everything on (A/c, waterheater, fridge which takes me up to about 3000 watts. If I add the over/stove burners I can get to 5000 watts. Everything I have read on this forum tells me I have to load it or the cylinder walls will glaze.
    George
    ELECTRA VI
    1966 34C #068

I am not to worried I have 2 ac unit and will add in a electric stove, Charger takes about 12 amps have convection Micro, block heaters which I can turn on and most time will have someone else plugged in I won't run with on will use it a few hrs a day to top everything off. Beside's if I did glaze the cylinders after a couple years of running low load for that price Ill scrap it and buy the 5k that I wanted
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

Do any of you have a good source for Westerbeke parts for older models? I am trying to locate a source for the 4kw unit that was posted earlier in this post since I would have to do some work to it before I install it. The model number as read off the plate (hard to read it) is thought to be 4Z107 and it was thought that it was an earlier 80's model that has lower hours. Needs carb job and a few other things.

Thanks,

Jack

Anyone know where I can get the weight and dimensions for an old 4kw westerbeke? I can't seem to locate the info on their site. The generator is probably too old for their website.

try calling Westerbeke.

I have a 4.5kw Westerbeke generator for sale. Unit is 1800 rpm. Unit is 1989 model with approximately 1000 hours usage. Unit is fresh water cooled and has never been used in salt water. Repowered to diesel several years ago is the reason the unit is for sale. Comes with extras. Will take $1200 plus shipping for unit.

Contact if interested.

Mike Wilhelm
    256-710-1024

I am beginning to see why large motoryachts have TWO gensets- it seems to be seldom that the generator is called on to run everything and frequently the genset runs at an inadequate load level. When I repowered my boat, I put in a 6kw NL set. Frankly most of the time I don't even need that- 2kw would do it. If I were cruising a lot, I would see if I could put a 110vac alternator on one of the drive engines and run things off that. I recall that at a boat show a few years ago I saw a cruising alternator system but haven't seen one in a while. Has anyone else?

Mikonna,

I'll give you a call tomorrow. Just got in from a weekend of gut wrenching work on the boat. Ie bottom work and bilge work. Two of my most hated annual chores.

Thanks,

Jack