Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 53 ED Refit

Re: 53 ED Refit

Do yourself a favor and forget the ole galley maid / raz pump. Get a shallow well pump to use on shore/gen and a DC diaphragm pump up ..

There is a reason why the stator style pumps are gone...
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Is their a reasonably priced dc diaphram pump that isn't $1000 headhunter pump? My galley maid croaked, Mike wants $550 for a refurbished. Very nice guy by the way.

As I said Get a $200/300 shallow well AC pump plus a $200 shurflow DC pump. Full Redundancy.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    As I said Get a $200/300 shallow well AC pump plus a $200 shurflow DC pump. Full Redundancy.
    Any link to a 32 volt shurflow DC? I cant seem to find one. I have a 12 volt battery on the boat for the generator but if the generator is out it aint charging. If the generator is on I have my shallow well pump.

I have the 32v Galleymaid pump and a stainless 120v shallow well pump. The little 120v pump does a great job and even runs well off of the inverter so the Galleymaid rarely gets used.

https://pumpbiz.com/manufacturer/pea...ump-jsc-05f16p

Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Does it matter 12v vs 24v besides price. I was thinking of getting a 38v to 24v converter and a 24 v

Convert or invert. Either way it's simple.

An inverter is more universally used for other devices.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Scott, as long as the converter has the amp capacity for the motor rating, would it be sized correctly? Or should I go larger to handle starting demand.

Greetings folks-

Thanks for the ideas on these things and the questions- here are a few responses and I took a couple more pics- helm seat and media cabinet.

-The beverage cooler was sourced from Wayfair and fit the standard 15" opening where the Scotsman originally was. We ordered this one (15-inch 3.4 cu. ft. Convertible Beverage Center by Whynter) as it would hold both cans/bottles as well as wine bottles. I can put 4 bottles of wine on the top shelf laying down. It's a nice unit. Getting the old icemaker out was a chore as there was a hidden screw in the side. Only minor mods were necessary to the cabinet.

-RE: the water pump- had used the shallow well pump in my Classic and that worked well. Mike at Raz Marine has been extremely helpful in troubleshooting this one. Thanks for the intel on other options.

-Will take stateroom pics once we get window treatments in order. For the salon, we ordered pre-made drapery panels from Bed, Bath & Beyond and also the drapery tabs from Sam's. Sent the materials to my mom, who cut off the tops and re-hemmed to fit length, sewing in the tabs at the top. I'm calling it "semi-custom" drapes

Cheryl & Howard
    Attached Images
    1985 53 ED "True North"
    Formerly:
    1971 53 MY "Cinderella"
    1970 44 MY "Bay Mariner"

Quote Originally Posted by Chasemmc View Post
    Scott, as long as the converter has the amp capacity for the motor rating, would it be sized correctly? Or should I go larger to handle starting demand.

2x or 3x the rated for a dc converter.

Inverters are rated run watts and start watts.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.