Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 53 ED Refit

53 ED Refit

Starting on the refit- new carpet and replaced the Scotsman icemaker with a beverage cooler (fridge has separate icemaker).

Lots to do, trying to remember that these things are marathons, not sprints.

Took her for a ride on Sunday, brought her up to 17-18kt and she ran nice and cool. Trim tabs need attention as it didn't feel like they were working. Bunch of stuff like that but overall it's really nice.

Cheryl & Howard
    Attached Images
    1985 53 ED "True North"
    Formerly:
    1971 53 MY "Cinderella"
    1970 44 MY "Bay Mariner"

Re: 53 ED Refit

The stairs look nice and tight. Keep the pics coming.

When hauled last summer, took my trim tabs apart and cleaned off layers of old bottom paint, barnacles and brushed everything nice and clean. Replaced the actuators...a whole new world!

Nice to see you back!

Jon
    Jonathan Brein
    1982 43' DCFB #550
    "Paragon"
    Chesapeake, Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by holtcl View Post
    Starting on the refit- new carpet and replaced the Scotsman icemaker with a beverage cooler (fridge has separate icemaker).

Lots to do, trying to remember that these things are marathons, not sprints.

Took her for a ride on Sunday, brought her up to 17-18kt and she ran nice and cool. Trim tabs need attention as it didn't feel like they were working. Bunch of stuff like that but overall it's really nice.

Cheryl & Howard
    Great color on the carpet. I went to your profile and saw a photocopy your horns. Where did you have them re-chromed?
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Thanks for the kind words. It's now a "no shoes" boat

Re: the trim tabs- they were free during the haul out so next thing is to check the internal parts. It's "on the list" (the list that when you check off one thing, two more appear).

Re: the search light and horns pictures, they were actually from my previous 53 Classic- they had all been re-chromed when I bought the boat. I wish the 53ED had chrome that looks like that!

Cheryl
    1985 53 ED "True North"
    Formerly:
    1971 53 MY "Cinderella"
    1970 44 MY "Bay Mariner"

There are no chroming places left in MD, I think. There is a shop in Richmond, VA, and one in Norfolk, if you decide to get them done. And several that advertise in HMN.

For chrome plating consider these guys. The boat parts I had done by them were flawless.

https://www.newenglandchrome.com

You can send them photos of your parts and they will usually quote from those photos.
    I have had bad experiences with the guys from Richmond and Norfolk VA.
    Tim
    1979 53' MY Hull #566
    KNOW PRESSURE
    Hampton, Virginia

The refit continues...

Continuing to go through the engine room and getting things straight. Added spin-on conversions to the transmissions.

Addressed minor fuel leak on each engine- amazing how a tiny leak will really mess up a Detroit.

Found out Saturday evening, as we suspected, the ground tackle she came with was horribly insufficient. New anchor will be ordered this week!

Domestic water pump is unreliable, reaching back out to Raz Marine is on the list as well.

Salon is coming together, we put in a TV lift cabinet (Amazon), with new TV and surround sound. Window treatments are in and starting to work on staterooms.

Ordered solid surface material for galley countertops.

Had helm seat re-covered in grey ostrich vinyl same as the salon valences.

Next on deck will be to order and install Garmin nav package.

Generally stimulating the economy...

Cheryl & Howard
    Attached Images
    1985 53 ED "True North"
    Formerly:
    1971 53 MY "Cinderella"
    1970 44 MY "Bay Mariner"

Could you please post a picture of ostrich helm seat and any other upgraded upholstery. Particularly interested in what you do for the bedrooms. Thanks.

Was the cooler a drop-in replacement for the Scotsman icemaker? We are looking to replace ours and wanted to add wine storage, but we don't want to do any cabinetwork if we can avoid it.