Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Valley maid windlass...power down or free fall?

Thanks JJG, I agree they have been great to deal with. We had a problem with our windlass slipping, I got a new clutch pad, not sure that is what it is called, and it still was slipping so they suggested adding a second pad which I did and problem solved. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

I have a Galley Maid windlass in my storage container that was removed from my boat years ago. It
    is rope only, no gypsy for chain, which is why I had it removed. It's in excellent condition and available
    cheap if anyone want's it.

Walt

Talked to Galley Maid today. They said that neither the square or the round gear box version have down thrust bearings. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406

In layman’s terms...what does the lack of a thrust bearing mean? Too much load where?

I have been down this path.

According to GM the lack of a downward thrust bearing when lowering the anchor by the motor puts undue strain on the brass vertical worm drive within the gear box. This can cause the gear to become prematurely worn and eventually the gear will fail. This will result in the gearbox having to be removed for repair. GM can now add a downward thrust bearing if the gearbox is returned to them.

In other words only deploy the anchor by free fall.

I have blow apart diagrams of the GM winch which I will add as I can work out how to upload a PDF.
    Last edited by scottinsydney; 04-18-2018 at 07:59 AM.

I have the square body windlass. Does anyone have an operating manual. When I search on line, they want you to subscribe to some "reading service".

How do you release the anchor to free fall?

What is the purpose of the power down if you don't use it?

Before I was aware of this issue I always used the power-down function for then entire rode, particularly from the flybridge where i could control winch and maneuver as well.
    About 6 years later, it did fail and upon repair, I was made aware of the suggested free-fall method.
    Now, I still power down but only until anchor hits bottom (generally 12 to 20 feet of chain) then I remove chain from gypsy and put engines in reverse to pan-out the chain. So far- no issues and its been @ 5 years since repair.
    Its a compromise I know, but I just can't see myself loosening the capstan/gypsy with the wrench every time, plus who wants the chain in a ball on top of the anchor if one chooses free-fall?
    MV "Mystery"
    Cheoy Lee 58' Motor Yacht
    Trinidad & Tobago

one of the advantages of "free fall" is that you can get the anchor on the bottom quickly. If you are trying to anchor in deep water it is so much easier than trying to "power down " the chain while you try to maintain boat position......Pat

If your windlass is like mine to release for free fall just loosen the large nut on the top of the drum, the internal springs will separate the clutches which allows the chain gypsy to turn freely, if you have it greased properly that is. The speed can be controlled by tightening the nut partially. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406

Thanks Mahalo for the instructionMark