Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

$1,000,000 to Spend

I have a customer looking for a convertible for Bahamas fishing trips. Hatteras or Viking Preferably. $750,000 to $1,000,000 Budget. 54 to 65 feet, 3 or 4 staterooms. What would you buy? We have a few ideas and are starting to look next week. Kind of know what direction we may go but was looking for some insight from group. Start the opinions flying. Thanks in Advance. Tony

Re: $1,000,000 to Spend

For a production boat in that price range it would be a 61 Viking with Cats, try to find one with a mezzanine. 56 Viking is also a great boat, would go with one with MTU's instead of the MANs. Second would be a Hatteras 60 with Cats and mezzanine.
    On the custom side there's really not much available in that price range, custom sportfish market is out of control.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

I’ll sell my 53’ for a million. Has to be cash. 😂
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Pick up a 65 Hatteras for around 250k have new Cat's installed and new gen good to go for years.
    Bob

A customer with that much money to spend wants a turn key vessel not a repower.

Look at the newest and cleanest boat possible. Something in mint condition is easier to sell to a discerning buyer.

For production boats, Hatts and vikings would be my first choices and cats probably the engine of choice but Mann's and mtus may be ok with the buyer. Some don't worry about the cost of maintenance and rebuilds as its the price of fishing.

It look at what the wife wants too. If she's going on the boat she will have a lot of input.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    For a production boat in that price range it would be a 61 Viking with Cats, try to find one with a mezzanine. 56 Viking is also a great boat, would go with one with MTU's instead of the MANs. Second would be a Hatteras 60 with Cats and mezzanine.On the custom side there's really not much available in that price range, custom sportfish market is out of control.
    Cat powered Viking 61, Hatteras 60, and a later model 65 Hatteras are on my short list. Haven’t had much time on a Viking 61. I know it’s faster then a either a 60 or 65 Hatteras but does anyone know how is the ride compared to Hatt 60/65? Tony

In your scenario, as a 33 year Hatteras owner, I hate to say it but I would buy a Cat powered 4 stateroom 61 Viking over the same 60 Hatteras, and I think the 60 Hatteras is a really great boat, just the Viking is better, and will also fish better than the Hat.
    60 Hat might have a small edge in a huge sea but it's close, 95% of the time the Viking will run away from the Hat. I don't like the huge wheels Hatteras used, makes caring spares almost impossible. Viking bridge layout is better, especially with the freezers on the bridge, engine room layout is better........
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    In your scenario, as a 33 year Hatteras owner, I hate to say it but I would buy a Cat powered 4 stateroom 61 Viking over the same 60 Hatteras, and I think the 60 Hatteras is a really great boat, just the Viking is better, and will also fish better than the Hat.60 Hat might have a small edge in a huge sea but it's close, 95% of the time the Viking will run away from the Hat. I don't like the huge wheels Hatteras used, makes caring spares almost impossible. Viking bridge layout is better, especially with the freezers on the bridge, engine room layout is better........
    I hear you, and have to agree about speed and space. Just wasn’t sure on head sea ride. I sold and ran a 57 Viking and for all the bad I heard prior to selling it I loved it. It was a 1989 Rybovich Version with DD 12V92’s and fished great. It had a 25knot cruise and rode solid. Just wasn’t sure about the Viking 61. What your saying is reassuring though. Thanks

I am stunned...

Never would have thought this crowd would give fair consideration to a Viking.
    Especially after I got panned when word got out that my 63' MY was actually a Viking/Gulfstar. (Thanks Krush)

Putting that aside, I have to agree with the above comments.

Forgot Rybo was a Viking dealer for a bit, was fishing on the Viking demo boat quite a bit back in those days, one winter Viking had two 57's at the Buckaneer, for the winter around that time. Pretty sure that's when the Feds instituted the boat luxury tax so boat sales where tough.
    Night and day between the 57 and 61 ride wise and everything else. Friend ran 2 different 61's, can't remember if it was a 3412 or c30 boat and then one with MTU's, he said the Cat boat was just bad ass.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns