Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Isolation transformer

I've been reading threads most of the afternoon on I.T.. and shore power problem, 208 vdc. Some really good stuff out there on shore Power.The admiral and I move our horse to another marine and the voltage is low on the boat. 105/213. However I cked voltage at main breaker and have 122/213. So here's where I'm lose? Our friends at New Bern tell me about these transformers,I cant find my mine? All my prints say there on the stbd engine room side? Help where all they?So power comes in through main breaker and goes to transformers then back to panels, right? Could my problem be my lost I.T, s🛥

Re: Isolation transformer

I'm waiting for a sample of a 50 amp buck boost autotransformer. If yours is missing you may need to replace it.

Charles stopped making theirs a few years back.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

The power actually goes to the main distribution panel, then to the isolation transformers and then it gets distributed to the ships service panels.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I do think they've been removed,There no transformer in the engine room. For dam sure.This's crazy, there's four cables, looks like two are #6awg and the other two about the same, there coming out of main panel running across engine room to stbd side and going up into Salon floor, I tore the salon apart thinking these phantom I,T.s were In The floor? Did Mr Hatteras ever put them in the floor cavity? Still not sure where these cables go? And no transformers. Hey, I just started my gen and had 114 vdc, what's going on.🛥

What meter are you using to measure it?

I use a fluke for anytbing that has to be accurate.

Cheap meters are not reliable.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Suggest you start with a simple non intrusive measurement that will tell you if you have the standard Hatteras isolation transformer installed. Just measure the voltage at one of the convenience outlet in the boat, sometimes called wall outlets that you use for everything from lamps to small galley appliances. Now compare that number to the panel voltage on your main electric panel, where you see the voltage in the 200+ range. If the voltage at the outlet is 50% of the main panel reading you have an isolation transformer. If the outlet voltage is closer to 60% of the panel reading you do not have a standard Hatteras isolation transformer. You should really be using a more accurate meter than the small panel meters, but let's start with this. Let us know what you measure.
    Pete
    1976 Hatteras 48 LRC
    Blue Chip

Isolation Transformers do not change the voltage. That's buck and boost. If the transformer is set to pass through it will not change the voltage.

If you bring 208 in without the common (neutral) it will make the neutral at the transformer for the 110 circuits .

If you boost it (like Sky has explained many times) it will become 240/120 from the taps.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

I have a cheap meter, however, I've cked power all over the marine, with out load most are showing 122/213. I also have 122/213 at my main breakers feed side in and out,,,,where the other wires that come and go from the main breaker, Do theses wires go to the transformer? Also I'm using source 1, at all recptical outlets I have 106, from shorepower. I did run my generator and it was giving me 114.I've most likely just repeated myself here, where are these darn transformers?ThanksCaptains

Somebody at their boat take some pics.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

10-4 captan, pics on there wayAnyone seen my transformers?