Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stuck in start

Stuck in start

Cranked my engines today after sitting a couple weeks. Everything seemed fine except the volt meter on the starboard engine was reading 32V which shouldn't be connected to shower power and alternator running. The batteries read 36V on the panel meter when I got here prior to cranking. Let them idle a few minutes then shut off port then starboard. When I released the stop button the stbd engine immediately started back. I shut key off and hit the button and it died. A minute or so later I turned key back to on and engine immediately cranked. I hit stop button again and turned key off along with Perko switch. Went and had supper. Came back couple hours later and turned key on. Engine immediately started. Turned key off and hit stop button. It quit. Turned key back on and nothing happened. Hit start button and she cranked. Stopped normally this time with key on. So something is sticking. I am thinking either the solenoid or the start button. The starters look new or have been rebuilt along with solenoid. Anyone experienced this before? Apparently there was a load on the battery when this happened because it now reads 36V when running.

Re: Stuck in start

I think the start button is stuck, but I’ll let the pros answer this one. Scary. Can’t wait to hear what it is. Best of luck.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

If the solenoid was stuck it won’t stop cranking. I would still take the solenoid apart and check the contacts as they have been known to arc and weld themselves to the disc that connects them

Don't know about your model, but on mine, the key energizes the start button circuit, when you push the start button, it sends little voltage to a Kelsey Haynes (Ford type) solinoid in the battery isolator cabinet in the ER. That solinoid connects the big amperage voltage from the batteries to the starter solinoid. So, if your immediately getting a crank when you turn the key, a closed relay in the start button would be my first place to look.

Pretty sure it was the start button. I pulled the rubber grommet off and it was stiff/sticky. Hit the button to start and it hesitated a bit. I played the button flat and put oil in it. Pressed it over and over. Got alot smoother. Have cranked several times since with no issues. Will replace the button just to be safe. Anyone know if this is a Hatteras special or something that can be bought at auto parts counter?

Quote Originally Posted by Briankinley2004 View Post
    Pretty sure it was the start button. I pulled the rubber grommet off and it was stiff/sticky. Hit the button to start and it hesitated a bit. I played the button flat and put oil in it. Pressed it over and over. Got alot smoother. Have cranked several times since with no issues. Will replace the button just to be safe. Anyone know if this is a Hatteras special or something that can be bought at auto parts counter?
    Better thee than me. Mine will crank in gear. Very useful for fast getaways.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    Better thee than me. Mine will crank in gear. Very useful for fast getaways.
    Mine does too. I hate that. I started it reverse one day without knowing it and ripped a cleat out of the dock. Never again.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I havent went there yet but dont see why it wouldn't happen. Gears are mechanical cable and dont see anything to keep this from happening

The Allison's on my old Connie would start in gear, too. But I installed neutral safety switches in the Twin Disk gears that came with my Cummins engines for the Roamer. The start circuit runs through it. If it's not in gear, it won't start. It's an easy upgrade. Threads right into the factory port.