Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Re: history of 56/61 Hatteras cockpit Motoryacht

BP would make it a 61 CPMY
    Check the brochure page for designation.

Re: history of 56/61 Hatteras cockpit Motoryacht

Doesn't look too bad, to me. Think of all the weight you can save by leaving 90% of the interior at the dock when you depart to bring her back to USA.

I don't think it's a bargain,but might be worth pursuing if you can get her at the right price.

Still going back and forth with the broker in the Dominican Republic. He knows nothing about the listing. Very frustrating. I have tried to get the paperwork for the engine overhauls and there is none. Tried to get some proof of the $175,000 refit done in 2015 as described in the listing, but it seems to be missing also. Not very encouraging.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    Doesn't look too bad, to me. Think of all the weight you can save by leaving 90% of the interior at the dock when you depart to bring her back to USA.

I don't think it's a bargain,but might be worth pursuing if you can get her at the right price.
    LOL!

So very true.

Jon
    Jonathan Brein
    1982 43' DCFB #550
    "Paragon"
    Chesapeake, Virginia

I appreciate the input so far but I am amazed that the knowledgeable guys on this forum don't know the history of this boat. I am getting ready to make an offer but the broker has been unable to produce any documentation on the mechanical work performed over the years. I am worried about the engines with no history, or paperwork to support any work performed. It is going to cost me big money to fly a Detroit diesel mechanic and surveyor from Florida to the Dominican Republic to check the boat and engines and it would sure help if I had some history on this boat. Anybody know anything?

Have you checked the hull number with the folks at Sam's? They may be able to help on the history, you never know.
    Does the boat have a US documentation number? You can look up present and past ownership somewhat with that.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

You don't need receipts to see what's been done to the boat. That boat's had alot of money spent on it. If you can't get receipts for the overhauls you gotta go with the meters and considerate it a bonus if they've been overhauled.

It's difficult to find that much boat for any less money than that. Be prepared for things to not work or break right outta the gate. Once you get her sorted you'll have more than most.

It's probably a good boat.....if the amount of money that's been spent on it is any indication.

(it's obvious they didn't much care for wood lol....that can hurt a boat when you go to sell it)

Find out who overhauled the engines and give them a call. If the owners don't have receipts they at least outta know...or be able to find out... who did 'em. (If they can't, how do the owners even know they've been overhauled?)

(don't be afraid to go around the broker. It's been my experience that makes the brokers much angrier than the owners. Just assure him he'll get his money lol and make sure he does and don't bad mouth him to the owners. The first thing the owners will want to know is if they have the right broker. Assure them the broker is a good one)
    Last edited by dcate; 04-25-2018 at 02:15 PM.
    “Sentry”
    1977 Hatteras 70’ CMY
    #70MY313

I have found additional information. The boat's previous name was "Sumo" and it was sold by United Yacht Sales in 2005. Anyone know anything about history back then?

I think that cockpit versions of Motor Yachts are more valuable that basic motor yachts due to the ease of boarding
    in the cockpit when moored or cruising.

Regarding the engines (which seem to be your major concern) I would find a good mechanic in the Miami area
    and pay to fly him down to the Dominican Republic for 2 days to go through the engines, generator and fuels system.
    You can do this prior to or after a negotiated offer. When making the offer I would consider that the yacht is
    due for a rebuild (then cut the cost by 50% as the rebuild does increase her value) and then consider what the
    Yacht is worth to you.

Once you are comfortable complete the balance of the survey but only after you are comfortable with the mechanicals.
    Again, there are top surveyors in the Miami Fort Lauderdale area.

By going down this path you are making an investment of a few thousand dollars. Make sure you wan the boat
    prior to moving forward.

You always try to renegotiate the price after survey (not easy to do).

Spin

My plan is to make an offer based on both acceptable survey and sea trial and a mechanical inspection. So far I have gotten a quote from Florida Detroit Diesel for a mechanic for 2 days at around $5,000 plus travel and accommodation. Waiting on quotes from Puerto Rico and here in St Maarten. This is just for the mechanical inspection. The regular survey will be on top of that. This is why I am trying to find out as much as possible about the boat before I go and spend $8k - $10k to find out if I want to close the deal. The location of the boat is making it very expensive to inspect prior to purchase.