Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

history of 56/61 Hatteras cockpit Motoryacht

I am looking for the history on this boat listed on yacht world. Does anyone know this boat?http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1982...g#.WrTzdmYZN24

Re: history of 56/61 Hatteras cockpit Motoryacht

I thought those boats had 12-71 engines. The pictures look like 12-71 I think. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

the boat was originally a 56' and had a cockpit extension. The 56' Motoryacht came with 8v not 12v engines. I am considering going to have a look at it and wondered about its history..

Quote Originally Posted by rourkeh View Post
    the boat was originally a 56' and had a cockpit extension. The 56' Motoryacht came with 8v not 12v engines. I am considering going to have a look at it and wondered about its history..
    I would be very skeptical of that claim. If the cockpit was added they went to great lengths to make it look factory original.

The 56my came with 8-92's, but the 61CMY came with 12-71's. But who knows what may have happened ? If you can get the hull number, the folks at Sam's or Hatteras can help figure out what that particular boat came out of the factory with.
    The 56 used the "BR" prefix and the 61CMY BP. Sam's may well have the hull number in their system as they use it when making sure you get the right parts.

EDIT: I got a minute and looked at the pics, and then pics of my engines, and those don't look like my 8v 92's did. Different blower arrangement.
    Maybe someone with better expertise or with 12's could weigh in.
    Last edited by GJH; 03-27-2018 at 05:14 PM.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

The listing "broker" can't count cylinders either.

I'm very certain that boat was an original 61. Those are definitely 12's and the 56 had a large ledge behind the master berth that housed the aft water tank with separated windows, not the single slider.
    Nightingale - 1984 Hatteras 56 Motor Yacht

Probably better if it left the factory as a 61. Among many reasons one concern would be that on many
    after market extensions the props and other running gear was left in the original location which one
    would think will affect the handling at the very least. Also I would be very careful about stress cracks
    where the extension joined the original hull. This is just my uneducated opinion as I never owned an
    extended boat and am not a naval engineer/architect.

Walt

Quote Originally Posted by Nightingale View Post
    I'm very certain that boat was an original 61. Those are definitely 12's and the 56 had a large ledge behind the master berth that housed the aft water tank with separated windows, not the single slider.
    The more I look at the pics, so am I. You're exactly right about the rear of the MSR. Which for the OP this is all a good thing, much better OEM than aftermarket extension. Worth giving the guy a call and interrogating, there's a lot to like about that boat from the pics and info, though we know now the info is not reliable. Don't like the paint in the salon personally.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

I got the HIN # from the broker HATBP3080382. Is that a 61 cpmy or 56?
    It has 12v71ti engines which leads me to believe it is an original 61'cpmy. The broker and his listing is full of mistakes and misinformation. I am trying to decide whether to go and inspect and make an offer. As usual the listing claims the engines have had major overhauls but no one can find the receipts.