Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Conversion of Extended Flybridge

I'm eyeing a 53 Classic, but it has the extended railing around the aft part of the flybridge where some were built to carry a dingy. How much work is involved in shortening how far aft the railing extends and placing a dingy cradle there? Were all the flybridge structures reinforced for carrying a dingy, or were these with the extended "living" area not reinforced?

Re: Conversion of Extended Flybridge

Stock 53 was designed to carry a dingy on the back end, we do with no problems and no added support. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

They all do have the same hardtop, however all the ones I have seen with a 13' Whaler up there do have side reinforcements added.

It's not a big deal to modify the railing up there. The important thing is to find a guy who knows how to make it factory original.

Is there a hoist built in? The dinghy should be light compared to numerous people up there. Dinghy is about 180 if hard bottom and the engine will very in weight depending on size. Check the weight capacity on the hoist if you have one. Pictures would help. What year? Are the chalks still up there? Lots of questions.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Not my vessel, perhaps it will be if I can get my questions and concerns addressed. There is a hoist mounted in what appears to be the usual place and fashion. There currently is NOT a dingy cradle.

The vessel in question is Voyager. Should any of you be familiar with her, I would love some insight.

Where is she located? What broker is handling the sale?
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Put a contract on a different 53 Classic, so no need to try and figure this out. Thanks for the insight everyone.

Voyager is located in Daytona, local to me. I have seen her many times. She is an odd boat. Owner spent mega money on improvements that probably have little value to most buyers. Full electronic engine gauges, every flat surface in the boat is granite, teak & holly everywhere inside (ok that one everybody likes), he put teak decks down on the flybridge and aft deck (which you couldn’t pay me to have), subzero undercounter fridges, custom $10k aft deck table like on a 100’ yacht, etc., the money spent on this boat is well and truly nuts. But the decisions are questionable. It’s basically a big dayboat the way it’s set up. No dishwasher. No oven. He installed a wine fridge instead of anything useful. The cabinets are custom fit, and not easily changed. The fridges are very small compared to a regular size fridge. He extended the flybridge so no dinghy storage, and not an easy job to put it back because you’re going to be ripping up and redoing those teak decks. A lot of the improvements are kind of catch 22’s on this boat. I can vouch that it has had the blister job done, it was out of the water next to my boat recently and I remember thinking the bottom is perfect. It’s cosmetically beautiful. I expect this one to sit awhile. I can see $50k-$60k redoing a lot of the stuff he did to be able to actually cruise in it.Apologies in advance if this is someone’s boat, I mean no offense at all, just being honest.