Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Recommended air filters for engine compartment

I have a 1979 53’ Convertible. I want to replace the old screens for the vents in the engine room that keep out salt spray and dirt. Any recommendations on what to use to replace the old screens?

2. Re: Recommended air filters for engine compartment

If your a millionaire look at DeltaT systems.

Our vents don't have screens. Can you post some pictures of what you have in there today?

Re: Recommended air filters for engine compartment

The screens on the ceiling in the engine compartment are just old window screens.
    Last edited by Jwatson; 03-21-2018 at 05:00 PM.

Call Sam’s, I got some stuff from them to put over the air intake boxes that they say will keep out spray and let air in, so far so good, I’ve had mine for about 6 months now more night tech than just screen material. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett View Post
    Call Sam’s, I got some stuff from them to put over the air intake boxes that they say will keep out spray and let air in, so far so good, I’ve had mine for about 6 months now more night tech than just screen material. John
    Pricey?
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Rusty, I can’t remember but I don’t think so and I got enough to do at least 2 boats . Just looked it up 30” x 174” for $54.00. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406

If you bought that much you should have enough to do mine. Want to sell the extra?
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

We lined the perimeter of the opening ( engine room ceiling)with the hard plastic hook side of hook and loop, the stuff that's really hard to pull apart, not the regular velcro type.
    Just cut the air filer material that comes in rolls ( see link) to size and push it up and it stays in place just fine, have 2 sets so it's easy to change, pull it down wash it out, let dry, pull it out of the garage for next time.
    We do have the Slane vents with Livos demister inserts, similar to Delta T.
    Did get the Livos demisters in their early years before they sold out to Dometic, probably much more expensive now. Also we sealed the entire area that makes up the air box (behind the salon walls under the side deck) with epoxy including filling in the panels between the studs with epoxy coated 1/4" Okume, couldn't stand the fir fuzz.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#hvac-air-filters/=1c2mw62
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Rusty I gave it to a friend to try. If he decides not to use it, it’s yours, I’ll let you know next week. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett View Post
    Rusty I gave it to a friend to try. If he decides not to use it, it’s yours, I’ll let you know next week. John
    Thanks John.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California