Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Racor 1000 Fuel Water Separator

I've got a Hatteras 53' convertible with twin DD 8v-92's . Both port and starboard have 3 Racor 1000 fuel/water separators in line to each engine. I'm trying to find out what the best micron filter cartridge to use.

Re: Racor 1000 Fuel Water Separator

Use the search function. All kinds of opinions over quite some time available to you.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Detroit's opinion was 30mic for the 8v82TTI, so that's what I used.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

I use 30 as well.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

30 for sure as long as you have secondary filters between the engine and the racors.

Quote Originally Posted by MissPrint View Post
    30 for sure as long as you have secondary filters between the engine and the racors.
    I use a 10 on the secondary.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

if you have three separate filter units you could taper your filters from 30 down to 2, although DD doesn't recommend. I have dual racors and use 30 in each, but mine are plumbed where I can filter through either or both, typically alternate for optimal filter usage.

Quote Originally Posted by ageless View Post
    if you have three separate filter units you could taper your filters from 30 down to 2, although DD doesn't recommend. I have dual racors and use 30 in each, but mine are plumbed where I can filter through either or both, typically alternate for optimal filter usage.
    The only advantage of running both Racors is you can plug’m up together. You have two so you have a fallback.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

I use the 30. Part # is PMOR 2020. Defenders has them on sale right now for $11.99. I just ordered a few.

https://www.defender.com/product.jsp...060&id=2308149
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

10. Re: Racor 1000 Fuel Water Separator

Detroit 71 series manual says 30 micron for the primary filter unless you are in "severe" duty which case you should use 10. I think they describe severe duty as mining operations etc which would be dirty. Regardless I am going to try 10's for a while. I would avoid the 2-3's i think they are too restrictive and may cause problems.