Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Cruisair Questions

Don't trust the bubba that was in there last.

You can probably get manuals on the old units if you get in touch with a dealer. I'm not sure it's online
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Re: Cruisair Questions

As stated above, electrical repair with good diagrams is pretty easy. Between that and basic maintainance skills you can work on the electrical, cooling water system, and airflow which solves a lot of problems. A compressor replacement is another matter. In order to do it right, you'll need a reclaim machine and cylinder, a vacuum pump, a micron vacuum gauge, a torch set up and brazing skills, a nitrogen cylinder, fittings, tubing, cutters, valves, the refrigerant ( which requires an EPA license) and if it's R22, over $300 a container, the EPA license to even legally hook up the gauges and some knowledge on the subject. Don't get me wrong, you can do all of this as a layperson on the subject - I did, including the proctered EPA test with a full Universal certification but you really have to love refrigeration and want to spend that kind of scratch for this one subject. The brazing skills alone are a big hurdle with those small 1/4" thin wall tubes so close to the control box and reversing valve. I had to do a lot of test brazing in my workshop before I tackled my first compressor replacement. I'm sure net net I have not saved any money, I just like to learn new things.

If you do long term cruising I would have extra pump triggers and possibly a spare control board and cabin control unit. I built up this stock with rebuilt units over the years. That gets you back up and running from most failures. Another thing that is cheap and easy to get a jump on a system that is failing or needs service/maintainance is to get a delta T (the difference between the closest vent output from the evaporator and in temp into the evaporator right after a service when the unit is five by five and then monitor this regularly. It should be around 18 a 25F when healthy. When it drops to around 15 then the system needs something. This only works when the cabin is at the control temp and cycling. I have all the equipment and this is how I monitor my systems to know I have work to do because it's easier than hooking up gauges and takes no time at all. That way you don't get surprised at the wrong time with a system ahut down. Once a year I check everything properly.

George
    Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality"