Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cruisair Questions

Hello all, i've tried to register over at marineac.com to ask these questions on the forums there but can't seem to get registered for it, so I'm going to post them here.

Basically I'm trying to go through our AC/Heat systems and repair/fix/learn about them. My goal is to become knowledgeable enough to service/repair them myself. Not so much b/c I want to save money, more about being able to fix/repair them when we are in remote locations and no repair people are available.

So, to start I'm pretty much ignorant on this subject lol. I've been reading quite a bit about marine ac systems so I think I kinda have my mind wrapped around the concepts involved.

To start, we have 4 cruisair systems on our 1986 52c. 3 appear to the be the same size and service all 3 staterooms. And one unit serves the main salon and galley.

I do know that the master stateroom system appears to be working properly. It will cool/heat the master stateroom fairly well.

I do also know that there are capacitors and possibly a relay missing out of at least one of the other stateroom units.

You can see the unit on the left (one of the staterooms) here missing capacitors.

So I guess my first question, anyone happen to know what size units these may be? Also, what size capacitors go into these units?

Here are some pics that may help with identification.
    Last edited by rustybucket; 03-19-2018 at 02:53 PM.

Re: Cruisair Questions

Here is the main salon/galley unit

Last edited by rustybucket; 03-19-2018 at 02:53 PM.

the model numbers are in the pics

FAN XXX
    WFA XXX
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I have been told that one of the compressors for one of the staterooms is bad. While I don't mind farming this work out, I would REALLY like to do it myself and learn along the way.

I have already purchased a fieldpiece electronic hvac manifold to keep on the boat.

So one of them is

WFAH24C

and the other is

WFAH5

I've googled both of those but didn't return with much.

6. Re: Cruisair Questions

I have always been told that the charging of the systems requires tool etc which make it worthwhile to hire someone. However i have been installing control systems on ours and working on the electrical which is fairly basic for both the 110 and 220volt units. I see that you have your factory diagrams which makes it pretty easy.

Based on the numbers you provided it looks like the *24* is a 24000 BTU and the *5* is a 5000 BTU. I would imagine the 24000 is 220. Sound like you may need a new 5-7000 BTU 110 Cabin unit?

Here is a link to an old cruisair spec sheet which may or may not help: http://www.tropicalmarineairconditio...ets/L-0200.pdf

BTW, Why has your cabin condensing unit compressor failed? High current and no A/C? I'm curious what your symptoms are. You should be able to just replace the compressor. I would get the part number off the top of the compressor and look for that...
    Last edited by MVCaprice; 03-19-2018 at 03:21 PM.

None of the units are current therefore finding information on Google may be tough.

I have access to a lot of the old documentation along with what new replacement units need to be ordered 2 work with what you have.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    None of the units are current therefore finding information on Google may be tough.

I have access to a lot of the old documentation along with what new replacement units need to be ordered 2 work with what you have.
    Any chance you happen to know what capacitors the units would have came with?

Quote Originally Posted by rustybucket View Post
    Any chance you happen to know what capacitors the units would have came with?
    If there are numbers on them you might google them. I had no problem finding the right stuff on home HVAC systems.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    If there are numbers on them you might google them. I had no problem finding the right stuff on home HVAC systems.
    Kinda part of the problem is that I don't really trust what is currently installed.