Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Hatteras 82 holding tank full

Well, in the past three or four years my hatteras 82 has been in Cuba with a great Cuban Captain. I gladly retrieved my boats last week and I dont have a captain onboard to show me how everything works. So, I remember that before leaving Cuba, my captain told the temporary staff that he was to close the holding pump tank to avoid the saltwater filling the tank during the navigation. So one week later I am stuck with a full holding tank and I don’t know what to open, push, turn, press or whatever other action to empty the tanks... the owners manual refers to figure 3.7 whinch is not available and to see more information refer to the manufacturers manual which is not around... please tell me what to do and where to look. Im the engine room I found a switch that reads manual hold auto for black water. It was on hold and I put it in manual. But when I start the macerator, it stops after several seconds. In this marina nobody knows the ship and the Cuban Captain is not available for me now.

Re: Hatteras 82 holding tank full

It should have a deck fitting for pumping out at a pump out station.

You can't empty a tank at the dock.

If you have a hold and treat system it's more involved.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

As Scott says. Look for two deck plates that say waste. Unscrew the cap and pump the holding tanks.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Rockdrigo,

Follow the hose from the macerator pump to a thru hull ball valve or sea cock . There should be a valve and it is located below the waterline. Your captain likely closed this valve and your pump was not able to pump out the contents of your holding tank. If you open the valve, your macerator pump set on manual should pump out your holding tank.

On my boat, there is a Y valve that either connects my tank to the deck pump out or diverts flow from the holding tank thru a macerator pump going up thru a vented loop and then back down through a ball valve below the waterline. I have a key switch that allows me to turn on the macerator pump.

Jon
    Jonathan Brein
    1982 43' DCFB #550
    "Paragon"
    Chesapeake, Virginia

Like Scott said... Don't pump a full holding tank overboard at the dock! You will make a lot of people very unhappy.

Jon
    Jonathan Brein
    1982 43' DCFB #550
    "Paragon"
    Chesapeake, Virginia

I know, please, I wouldn’t empty a holding tank in the marina!!! The Marina guys told me to put the boat where they could empty it for me but we were not able to make it work. So they told me to sail away from the marina and empty it overboard but I can’t !!!! And I feel like sitting on a bomb...

On my 1989 CPMY, I had a 2 valves for each head to select overboard discharge or holding tank. If you had the overboard valve and the tank valve opened at once, the holding tank would fill with sea water. There was also a valve before and after the macerator discharge pump. Both of those valves had to be open to pump out the tank overboard. We never had an issue with the tank filling if those valves were left open underway.
    Thanks,

Tony

2008 Cheoy Lee Bravo 78 "Bella Sophia"
    1989 78' Hatteras CPMY #311 "Bella Sophia" (sold)
    2007 Everglades 290cc “Bada Bing” (sold)
    2006 Advanced Outdoors 28cc (sold)
    2003 Melges 24 "Bada Bing" (sold)
    2023 HCB 42 “Bada Bing”

what is your location? I don't want to be near a bomb but if I can help defuse I will