Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Re: Giving serious consideration to....

Karl,
    You really peaked my interest in the diesel/electric concept and I came across a company who does not make outrageous claims. Check out www.ossapowerlite.com. They detail power losses in mult. pcs of equip and props. Maybe someone there will actually talk to you! This stuff is way over my head however I'm interested in what you think of their site and articles.
    Skip

2. Re: Giving serious consideration to....

Oooooohhhhh... yes. That is precisely the sort of thing I was talking about

Re: Giving serious consideration to....

well........
    allthis time spent on changing to what???????????????
    the best engine change would be to go to 2- six cyl ...straight sixes
    2 yanmars would be nice 600-720 hp...only 80-100,000
    if you go electric...
    dont forget when you do this to a classic HATTERAS...you sure limit your chances of reselling because of all the changes..
    and How Much was this going to cost .???? and How much are we going to save?????
    over how much time ????
    I have 8/92's all my friends have 8/71's...we all get the same fuel usage
    at 9-10 knots ...basically 1 gal per mile..I run at 1200 they run at 1500 -1600
    to achieve the same speed ...my props are 30 x31...theirs 28x31's
    I have a 58yf...I wanted this because of the way I use the boat ...fishing and diving ...try to get your tanks off the back of a 53...and then back on dahhhhhhhh.also a lot easier to tie up...lots of storage under the cockpit...
    you guys must be from up north...lots of time on your hands while its cold.
    sorry couldnt resist....I am keeping my boat winterized down here in the keys
    just my thoughts.
    boy it has been nice here 82 and sunny.

see you in the bahamas

bill

4. Re: Giving serious consideration to....

If I was going to keep Gigabite I would seriously consider at the next time I need a rebuild sticking a pair of Cummins QSM11s in there, or whatever its successor is by then (the QSL looks damn nice, but it only goes to 540HP - I'm not sure its worth saving the $20k to do that and not getting ALL the speed you can with the QSMs...)

But - that leaves me with no good low-speed running options. And that's the point here.

With a 58YF that has a D/E system you could have a boat that can get 3nmpg - the equivalent of a passagemaker - at 8kts or so. You could ALSO step it up to 20kts when you want to, at somewhat less burn than you have now. And the 58 has room for stabilizers, which make it a much nicer boat at displacement speeds.

None of that works on the 45C. Its a sportfish and will always be a sportfish. When I bought it that's what I wanted. Now, that doesn't fit my usage model so well. It does ok, but its not the right boat for what I want to be able to do, and there is no good 7-8kt long-range option with it. Sure, I can run 9-10kts at 1100 all day long, but what I can't reasonably do is run where I get 2-3nmpg - long-range cruising economy.

All the solutions to do that involve ripping things out and making the boat very much not what it is. Thus, she's destined to be someone else's toy....