Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Need to replace cutlass bearings?

Is it possible that the strut set screw(s) holding the cutlass bearing have loosened, backed out, or sheared off and are allowing the cutlass to spin inside the strut? Just a thought. PJ61

I had same issue on starboard going astern at low speed. All checked out OK with cutlass bearing. Noise went as mysteriously as it appeared. That was 150 hrs ago. Yard though paint from recent bottom job may have been cause. They used a stethoscope to listen from inside, and identified lower strut by prop. Which they though could have been cutlass bearing or the spurs line cutter.

Ray
    Ray

1983 61CY 319

AnnaVal
    Jacksonville FL.

I recently replaced all of my cutlass bearings on both struts each side and the rudder shafts.

Right after the boat was launched I heard a whistle sound over the starboard intermediate strut at low rpms only. The sound has since gone away. I thought it was probably due to the tight fit of the rubber and being new.

Or gremlins...

Jon
    Jonathan Brein
    1982 43' DCFB #550
    "Paragon"
    Chesapeake, Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by kingsley_oasis View Post
    I had same issue on starboard going astern at low speed. All checked out OK with cutlass bearing. Noise went as mysteriously as it appeared. That was 150 hrs ago. Yard though paint from recent bottom job may have been cause. They used a stethoscope to listen from inside, and identified lower strut by prop. Which they though could have been cutlass bearing or the spurs line cutter.Ray
    I often regret not taking enough care of my hearing. Other times it can be a blessing.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Now I think it must be something besides the cutlass bearings...they look ok and when I turn the props by hand I hear a squeak but the sound I can't figure out is a definite whistle right when I put it in gear...sounds like a flute.

YouTube on subject, similar? .. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UP_Htokrirk

I have a video but can’t figure out how to load on this site...I can email

I have the same noise after spending two weeks in the yard doing the rudder shafts, bottom paint and running gear. There was no noise before. My noise is similar to when you rub a wet finger on a wine glass. I hear it at 550 rpm and it goes away once I advance the throttle, no noise at high idle of 750 rpm. Many have suggested that paint may have gotten in there and nothing to worry. Cutlass bearings are only a year old and solid at survey last November and when I was in the yard.

Sounds like the same problem...my last haul out was October 2016...it just started doing it one day to no reason I can determine. I wonder if the folks at Hatteras know anything?

There has been about a 5deg drop in water temp recently in my area...could that be a possible cause?