Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Need to replace cutlass bearings?

On my 2001 55' convertible I noticed a whistle when I put in gear on both engines...I dove under the boat and turned the props by hand and the whistle/squeak seems to be coming from the cutlass bearing. The boat is in Mexico and the nearest haul out is 100 miles...is this a sign the bearing need replacement?

Re: Need to replace cutlass bearings?

Could be the rubber in the bearing is gone and shaft is rubbing on metal. If it is possible someone should try to move the shaft up and down to see if there is movement in the bearing if so then bearing is for sure bad. This may not be so easy underwater, but if you brace yourself well you should be able to get enough force to move the shaft. The other thing I have seen is the rubber in one had actually broken loose and folded itself over in the bearing making the shaft very tight. This is very unusual however. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

I've had my shafts squeal in the cutlass bearings at spin down when all was ok but as stated above, you need to try and see how much "clunk" you have in your shaft movement/clearance.

George
    Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality"

I'm going to have a diver go down this morning and see if there is any play in the bearing... if it looks ok is was thinking about using the fresh water hose to spray and clean them out.

Was at a marina once where a diver had a cutless bearing removal/install tool powered with a hand pumped hydraulic press up on the dock that pressed out the old and pressed in the new set of cutlass on a Viking, think it was a 53. He had different parts to use for different shaft and cutlass sizes, pretty slick.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Cleaned them with brush and hose, inspected and no play, they look good but still squeak...

Is it squeaking when turning by hand or just at low speeds
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas.misskelly View Post
    Cleaned them with brush and hose, inspected and no play, they look good but still squeak...
    It wouldn't be shaft log or dripless seals would it? Dripless need water supply to lube.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Squeaks at low speed and when you turn by hand...you can hear it coming directly from the strut. I was thinking about using a wire and cleaning each grove... water seems to be flowing good.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas.misskelly View Post
    On my 2001 55' convertible I noticed a whistle when I put in gear on both engines...I dove under the boat and turned the props by hand and the whistle/squeak seems to be coming from the cutlass bearing. The boat is in Mexico and the nearest haul out is 100 miles...is this a sign the bearing need replacement?
    If a low speed noise which goes away with increased rpm it could be as simple as a singing wheel. Edges of the prop blades are worn to a sharp edge and set up a high pitch whine. Having the wheels tuned will eliminate it.