Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Plugging The Leaks--Air That Is

I realize that I'm probably swimming upstream on this, but I'd like to see about closing some of the more obvious sources for air infiltrating the cabin. I just tossed out a hundred pounds of old stereo equipment and cleaned up that space which is under a side deck. Now that I've good access, I'd like to close up around cable bundles and such. Foaming comes to mind. I would steer clear of that in any vertical chases where water could get trapped. Who's done it, and what have you done it with?
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Re: Plugging The Leaks--Air That Is

Remember foam can be trouble. Make sure it's fire and oil resistant
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

First, captan Clark,thanks for your help on the transformer/ voltage deal.Plugging, I've used the great stuff, mainly in my solan, admirals quarters, etc , air returns. Great stuff works great, just hard to get it off your hands. I started using hvac aluminum tape. It works really well, I see you have a 55' sportfish, does it have 1271s. Scott, if your ever up in the red neck Rivera,pcola. Let me know. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Remember foam can be trouble. Make sure it's fire and oil resistant
    Well I guess something would be fire resistant then. Rebar: 1271 840hp. I like black and white movies too.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Herd dat

I was at the Homo Depot this weekend buying the foam for my drain issue. They had loctite and great stuff. One of them was a fire rated foam. I think I read it was orange in color or something on the can. Another good product I used when I did HVAC work is permagum. It can be removed if needed and is alot neater than foam

Fire rating is important but remember heat, oil and vibration challenge the sealant too.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

You could use some fire clay for a semi permanent solution.