Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Installing Shields White Hose - Toilet Rated

I sprung a leak in my output hose attached to the Jabsco Toilet output fitting, which is a Shield's brand White hose, "Black Water" rated, [ SHIELDS VAC XHD SERIES 148 ]. No doubt I caused the leak while trying remove the hose from the toilet output fitting.

So I bought the same grade and size (3/4" ID) of Shields hose at WM. However, installing the new hose was a non-starter. I tried several fluids on the fitting, including the trusted Dawn detergent- no joy! I tried heating the hose with hot water from the spigot- again, no joy.

So the hose came home with me.

I setup a 10 qt pan on the gas stove and started heating the water. As the water heated, I tried installing the hose, at variously hotter temps, but without success. So finally the water neared the boiling point and I left the hose immersed for a couple minutes and it became floppy, compare to its room temperature state. I doused the fitting with some SoftSoap for slipperiness, pushed the fitting into the hose and Voila!- on it slid right on and could be rotated to what I thought was a best angle.

Notes on the fittings- the toilet output fitting has a barb around the end. However, it is a smooth fitting into the hose originating from the Holding tank. I think the hose will go on the smooth fitting far easier.

So my solution is- immersing the hose in nearly boiling water relaxes that brand and model of hose sufficiently well to install on the barbed fitting far easier.
    Last edited by spartonboat1; 07-28-2018 at 05:21 PM.
    50 Years on the Great Lakes...

Re: Installing Shields White Hose - Toilet Rated

Hose like that I just use a heat gun till it gets soft push it on and clamp it right away and you're going to have to cut it off.
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

I did something similar; I boiled water in the boat's microwave and used that to soften the hose. That stuff lasts a long time, but it is a pain to install. I wonder what they do at the factories that use it.

Quote Originally Posted by 34Hatt View Post
    Hose like that I just use a heat gun till it gets soft push it on and clamp it right away and you're going to have to cut it off.
    Yes, true, cutting off the original was the required technique!
    50 Years on the Great Lakes...