Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Shaft/gear coupling.

My 55' Convertible is under contract and has passed her survey. Surveyor noted that in his opinion the props were hard to turn while hanging in the straps. Sooooooo, they believe there is an alignment issue with both sides.
    Mechanic that supposedly specializes in alignments shows up today, removed all the bolts on the coupling that connects the shaft to the gear box. He has had no success in separating the two.
    Has anyone experienced this and or have a suggestion?

Personally, I believe this is a bunch of hooey. Been boating for 65 years and turn a lot of props on larger vessels by hand. They're all stiff as hell. Supposed to be stiff, unless the cutlass bearing is shot. But thats just my two cents.

She's a 1980, 55' convertible with 1271TI's and Twin Disc gears.

Thanks

2. Re: Shaft/gear coupling.

Quote Originally Posted by mykim View Post
    My 55' Convertible is under contract and has passed her survey. Surveyor noted that in his opinion the props were hard to turn while hanging in the straps. Sooooooo, they believe there is an alignment issue with both sides.
    Mechanic that supposedly specializes in alignments shows up today, removed all the bolts on the coupling that connects the shaft to the gear box. He has had no success in separating the two.
    Has anyone experienced this and or have a suggestion?

Personally, I believe this is a bunch of hooey. Been boating for 65 years and turn a lot of props on larger vessels by hand. They're all stiff as hell. Supposed to be stiff, unless the cutlass bearing is shot. But thats just my two cents.

She's a 1980, 55' convertible with 1271TI's and Twin Disc gears.

Thanks
    Wow, What about a visual inspection of the cutlass bearings? Sea trial vibration? I agree...That seems like a very arbitrary finding.

Re: Shaft/gear coupling.

The weight alone would make them heavy to turn out of the water. I think you got a bunch of guys working together to steal you blind
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Try barring the shaft around in the ER and telling me that ain’t heavy.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Well the good news is the buyer is paying for all of this. If the bill was on me, I'd get a couple more opinions.

Lucky you.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

The problem is that it is hard to quantify how hard it is to turn.. we had the same issue when the 70 footer I used to run was surveyed. “Shafts are hard to turn” and yes they took a little bit of effort to turn. Buyer bought the boat and I recommended an older guy I ve used before to do the running gear work. By the time he was done the shafts were turning easily (3” shafts)

Same guy also did the repower incl new shafts, alignment, cutless bearings etc on my 53 and they turn easily.

So... it s not black or white but shades of grey... but yes shafts should be pretty easy to turn by hand. If they re not it may not be serious but do you want to risk a transmission ?
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I would look at how the shaft is running in the shaft log, how it runs through the intermediate strut and the main strut. You can look at the cutlass bearings and see if the rubber isn't compressed on one side or the other or top and bottom. If they don't have the hull blocked evenly and at the transom they can sag enough to cause the shaft to bind. Have you tried turning the wheel after you wet the bearings? Does the boat have conventional shaft logs or dripless shaft logs? I wouldn't ck the alignment until you get the boat back in the water. If the props are still on you can get a prybar between the hub of the prop and the back of the strut.
    There are several things to check before you condemn the alignment. The problem is the buyer is at the mercy of the surveyor and his "expert"
    Last edited by dsharp; 07-25-2018 at 09:11 PM.

Following this. My 55c had this written up in a survey. I havent hauled it out and bought boat as is but plan to haul this winter. I cant turn the shafts by hand or with a wrench on them. I have put over 500 miles on her with no issues or vibration. Before doing this I talked to my dock master who has years of experience with fishing fleet. He said his are usually hard to turn. Said if it wasn't shuddering or vibrating he didnt think it was an immediate need item. I brought it up to the engine surveyor to see if he could check. He stated he would have to un loosen all the couplings and didnt see a need to. He said he didnt see any vibration or anything indicating it was out of alignment. I plan to replace cutlass bearings when I haul to see if that helps. I saw a crew boat in the dry dock with 4 props on her. One of the guys was turning one by hand when I drove by so I know it is possible. Very interested in what you find being the issue.

All excellent points. I appreciate your inputs.

Gary