Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Engine bilge pump

Diesel d when changing the oil dumped about a gallon in each bilge. I have tried to use pads to soak up, but what a mess. Anyone have a recommendation on a portable pump for the oil and one that could be used for anti freeze after a flush.

Re: Engine bilge pump

Cheap shop vac. Pull the oil from the top.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

So the oil won't foul the motor? (I don't know how they work)

Pour about 5 gallons of deluded Purple stuff or Purple power in the bilge. Let it sit for about a week. It will break down the oil to a milky colored water. Hit it with a brush and vacuum it out. Worked great for me. The more Purple the faster it works.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I have been using the harbor freight Drummond 12 volt pump to transfer coolant and water and have been very impressed with it. Most HF stuff is marginal at best but I got a good one here. Not sure how it would do on oil but I have used it to pump oily water from cleaning bilges of years of gunk. You could probably mix some dawn, purple power or other detergent with water to dilute the oil and this pump would do fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Chasemmc View Post
    So the oil won't foul the motor? (I don't know how they work)
    Cheap but wet vac.

The oil doesn't get through the motor. Collect it in a bunch of empty gallon containers

Dump them at the oil drop.

If you mix in a chemical and emulsify it you will have 5x the amount to dispose of.

And purple stuff screws up aluminum.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

I use a jabsco drill pump for antifreeze. I think it would do an ok job at this but I also use a shop vac.

Bucket head shop vac. Any 110v submersible pump for the coolant.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Shop vac is great but for the bulk of it i prefer starting with a manual bilge pump. Then the shop vac comes handy when th level is too low. I also always keep a couple of 5 gallon empty oil pails on the boat just in case. Easier than gallons
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

If you pull the oil off the top the remaining engine bilge water is not as big of a problem to dispose of. Once emulsifiers or mixed in through a pump it's a problem to separate and get rid of.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.