Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Fuel gauge trust

1984 61MY

The fuel gauges on my boat are dead accurate so far, but the water tank sender in the master cabin floor tank is stuck.

My understanding is that there are two co-joined water tanks. The second tank is behind the beadhead along the inside transom.

1. If water tanks are full, then a lot of water would be spilt when removing the floor gauge and sender to check???

2. If the gauge was working it would only read the value in the floor tank anyway. ie. only when the floor tank was being consumed would the gauge move???

TANK you to all who responded to this thread. I appreciate all the valuable knowledge that is shared thru out these pages. PJ61

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Fill them and never run below 1/2. Those gauges are as accurate as a congressman's tax return.

If you have flowscans use them too.
    At hull speed that might be ok, at planning speed you will have a 3,000 #s of dead fuel on board all of the time, 550 gallons weighing 3,900 #s. There is a fuel cost to transporting the extra weight.

If I had no confidence in my fuel gauge I would verify or fix it.
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

Remember my gauges read 1/2 at true 1/4 tank. I keep that as planned reserve so it's not a lot of extra weight.

Many of our tanks just don't have a consistent shape.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Remember my gauges read 1/2 at true 1/4 tank. I keep that as planned reserve so it's not a lot of extra weight.

Many of our tanks just don't have a consistent shape.
    So, you're trusting inaccurate gauges to remain accurate with those inaccurate readings?
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Fill before leaving for anything above 20 miles.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    So, you're trusting inaccurate gauges to remain accurate with those inaccurate readings?
    I have 910 gallons aft and 375 gallons fwd. Since my boat runs most efficiently with weight forward, I save the fwd as my reserve and don't invade it until below 1/2 of aft tank. At that point I will pull from fwd and return it aft down to 1/4 knowing I can't overfill and turning over the fuel in the fwd reserve tank. The fwd tank gauge is conveniently right on the mark all the way to the bottom. It helps that I've got clean fuel.

Keeping a graduated rod on top of the main tank, I've checked at different attitudes. Mine, like Scott's, is pretty much done at 1/4 on plane while I can still run (once anyway) slow on about 1/8 registering. I think it's a good idea to rod the tanks periodically just to stay ahead of an embarrassing moment. I think the 10% figure for usable fuel that Hat put forth is flirting with disaster.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Fill before leaving for anything above 20 miles.
    Seriously?

Again, why drag around all that weight unless you anticipate running long enough to run 80% of it out?

Seems to me it would either be easier to replace/repair the gauge or just keep a fuel log once you figure your burn rates. An innacurate gauge is pretty much useless, IMO. My point was, how can you depend on your inaccurate gauge to give you ANY indication of your true fuel level? It could get either more optimistic or pessimistic without notice.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

My tank gauge would read dead empty and still have at least a quarter tank left. I removed my vertical mount tank gauge and noted that it was 18". When I put a yardstick to the bottom, I discovered that the tank was actually 19-1/2" deep. Lo and behold, McMaster Carr carries a 19-1/2" gauge for $75. Problem solved. From observation, I find them quite accurate and slightly conservative (i.e. I usually have slightly more than the gauge reads).

Here: https://www.mcmaster.com/#float-gauges/=1c1ewkn

BTW, I heard a rumor that Floscan is going out of business.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

The PO had cleaned and serviced my on-tank gauges shortly be fore I bought the boat, in tandem with installing remote tank-tender type gauges.
    The ones on the tanks were spot on.
    Perhaps the remote ones (which functioned like, but did not appear to be Harts) maybe were never calibrated correctly but read low on one (that's Ok IMO) and high on the other (not OK) each by about 1/8th.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014