Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Fuel gauge trust

New to an early 80's 61 MY. Fuel capacity just over 1100 gals in two tanks with dial type gauges on top of the tanks. In past boats, I have always used a dip stick to determine fuel on board and have never been wrong. These gauges appear to be working properly, but I am curious of other members experience with these gauges or to learn another way to double check fuel on board. Thanks, PJ61

Re: Fuel gauge trust

Fill them and never run below 1/2. Those gauges are as accurate as a congressman's tax return.

If you have flowscans use them too.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I replaced mine because I ran out of fuel. I read the gauge and it showed just under a half tank. Little did I know the float was stuck. I bought new ones from Sam’s and I always fill up after every other cruise. When I removed the old gauge I found just cleaning the rods with 220 sandpaper got them working again.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by PJ61 View Post
    New to an early 80's 61 MY. Fuel capacity just over 1100 gals in two tanks with dial type gauges on top of the tanks. In past boats, I have always used a dip stick to determine fuel on board and have never been wrong. These gauges appear to be working properly, but I am curious of other members experience with these gauges or to learn another way to double check fuel on board. Thanks, PJ61
    I can tell you from personal experience not to trust those gauges per my experience with my new to me 58TC. If there is a way to check it with a stick, it's news to me. I'd fill that sucker up and start from there.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Fill them and never run below 1/2. Those gauges are as accurate as a congressman's tax return.

If you have flowscans use them too.
    FloScans would make things easier after filling the tanks, but not running below half is a bit extreme, especially with that capacity.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

If they work like mine 1/2 on the gauge is about 1/4 in gallons.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

We have electric gauges that so far have worked well. A P.O. drill and taped the top of each tank and put in a pipe plug that’s easily removed so I can dip the tanks. On my delivery trip from San Francisco to San Diego I couldn’t figure out how to turn on the electric gauges so I dipped them during the trip and finally figured out how to turn on the gauges about 35 miles from San Diego. That’s what happens when the owner I bought the boat from knew absolutely nothing about the boat. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Hart Tank Tender gages are easy to install and as accurate as your calibration.

Bobk

I removed a bolt from the tank flange and then marked an 1/8” dowel rod to reconcile gauge to actual. Top to bottom, Excluding the sump on marina me is 34”. It’s good to have that option and simple to just remove the one bolt.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by bobk View Post
    Hart Tank Tender gages are easy to install and as accurate as your calibration.

Bobk
    X2 for the Hart. Gives you readings accurate to within a few gallons once calibrated.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI