Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Plexiglass Side Windows

Well I began the install of the plexi. It's attached to the frame using 3M 5962 VHB. Each side was covered using 2 pieces. There's 1/4" gap between the each half. On the inside I placed a 4" width behind the gap. Later the other edges will be filled with Dow 795.
    Attached Images

Starboard side
    Attached Images

Port side
    Attached Images

Interior
    Attached Images

Completion of the side windows. She's back on the hard for her winter hibernation.
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    We've used some of the super strong 2 way tapes for projects that have worked well, but just don't think 2 way tape is a good way to go., You would have to remove the paint and primer to get down to at least the gelcoat and or glass to make sure you're sticking to something structural.
    The plexi is going to really come and go with the heat cold cycles much more than the cabin sides which will take a toll over time.
    Also just cant see being able to hold a good edge with the caulk line on the edge of the plexi. What's the tape going to look like thru the plexi on the outside, and the UV could damage the tape.

We used fiberglass sheets with a ledge epoxied to the back side for the glass to sit in, the hole piece was epoxied to the cabin side. The forward angle piece is a separate piece of fiberglass sheet that is epoxied on and painted black
    Very crude drawing of what we did.
    Attachment 24825
    How high did you make the flange for the glass to glue to ,did you run it all the way around the window ? Thanks Ray

The outer aluminum frame was left in place. The frame was sanded, alcohol wiped and 3M primer applied. The plexiglass extended 1/4" over the outer most frame. Inner side of the plexiglass was painted to hide the VHB tape. 3M VHB double side tape was used to attach the plexiglass to frame. Dow 795 sealant to finish it off.

I did mine just to get rid of the old aluminium frames because the paint is just going to peel on aluminium and they will leak again at some point. It is easy to add the fiberglass frame for anyone else thinking about it here is my link of the process.
    https://www.samsmarine.com/forums/sh...Winter-project
    Also one piece tempered glass and I do not understand why extra supports were added they are not needed in a 34C it is rock solid?
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>