Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Plexiglass Side Windows

I'm looking into replacing the side windows on my 34C. The tinted plexiglass with be secured using the 3M 5962 VHB with a caulking of Dow 795. The plexi will be either 3/8 or 1/2in. Will replacing the glass windows with plexi cause a structural issue for the flybridge? The front windshields have already been removed and replaced with plywood and 2 layers of fiberglass. I was hoping to use a 1 piece but due to limited mainly lack of availability I think I have to go with 2 pieces and joint togehter. Plan for using 2 pieces will have me placing an added support in the middle of the window opening. Plywood attached to the topside and fiberglass over. The window opening is an estimated 32" height 9.5ft length. This will est break down each piece to 35" height 5ft length. Thx

Re: Plexiglass Side Windows

My suggestion is to install 2 support posts instead of one breaking the opening into thirds.
    Are you adding a window frame to set the glass into (frameless install) or trying to install the panels on the face (outside) of the house?
    Wouldn't use plexi as it will scratch too easily and also expand and contract more than glass. We made patterns and had tinted tempered glass panels made to install into our frameless frames we added.
    The tempered prosses can take a while but the cost was far less than what I would have thought, we actually had an extra set made just in case.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Don’t use plexiglass. It will craz crack in a short time. Easy to scratch. Safety glass only.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Since I was considering using the VHB, the plan was outside of the house. I read that's some strong foam adhesive. No need for screws for a cleaner look.

This is an example. 2 sheets joined together and support behind the gap. Suggestion on thickness. Could be done the same but in 3 sections as stated above. I figured 2 sheets will have a better look. The other reason I'm considering this way is I never open the original Windows anyway. Bonus better seal.
    Attached Images

We've used some of the super strong 2 way tapes for projects that have worked well, but just don't think 2 way tape is a good way to go., You would have to remove the paint and primer to get down to at least the gelcoat and or glass to make sure you're sticking to something structural.
    The plexi is going to really come and go with the heat cold cycles much more than the cabin sides which will take a toll over time.
    Also just cant see being able to hold a good edge with the caulk line on the edge of the plexi. What's the tape going to look like thru the plexi on the outside, and the UV could damage the tape.

We used fiberglass sheets with a ledge epoxied to the back side for the glass to sit in, the hole piece was epoxied to the cabin side. The forward angle piece is a separate piece of fiberglass sheet that is epoxied on and painted black
    Very crude drawing of what we did.
    CricketWindowDetail.jpg
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Thx

Ill look into doing a 3 section install to cut down on each size of the plexi panel.

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    My suggestion is to install 2 support posts instead of one breaking the opening into thirds.
    Are you adding a window frame to set the glass into (frameless install) or trying to install the panels on the face (outside) of the house?
    Wouldn't use plexi as it will scratch too easily and also expand and contract more than glass. We made patterns and had tinted tempered glass panels made to install into our frameless frames we added.
    The tempered prosses can take a while but the cost was far less than what I would have thought, we actually had an extra set made just in case.
    I am curious about using plexiglass as well. There is no way you can ever clean it without scratching in an outdoor environment.

IMG_5964.jpgIMG_5966.jpg

Cricket is correct on the tempered. I lost my forward salon window in 2015. After struggling to find someone who'd take it on, it took about 4 weeks to have the glass made up and installed. The whole thing installed was $650; the window from the extreme front point was between 8 and 10' long. I just knew they would break it carrying it unsupported, but they were the glass guys so all went well.

Plexiglass is a short term solution.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

I love the blue tint. better than the solex green in my opinion.

Id look at a single joint in the glass. A 34 is pretty short. Theres no need to put in support just expansion joints.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    I love the blue tint. better than the solex green in my opinion.

Id look at a single joint in the glass. A 34 is pretty short. Theres no need to put in support just expansion joints.
    Well that was before I put the heat gun on it.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC