Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Open Aft Deck

Open Aft Deck

My boat came with an Eisenglass enclosure for the aft deck, and it is in pretty good shape. I removed it today to clean everything and I really like the aft deck open, I also like the way the yacht looks with it off. It can be rolled up, but it is kind of a pain to do so. Almost easier to slide it out of the rail at top, and looks cleaner with it off. Have many of you used your boats without the enclosure and is it practical to do? I live in Florida, so cold isn't an issue, and it gets pretty hot in there when the sun is out, but does rain destroy everything if I leave it off?
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Re: Open Aft Deck

I agree about the look. Varnish, furniture, and what ever else you have back there will get ruined by the sun exposure and the rains. Bugs will have a field day with you at night if you normally use the aft deck in the evening. What ever you decide the 53 will look beautiful.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Mine while I was having my canvas replaced.
    Attached Images
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Theres no bugs when the breeze blows over 5.

Birds on the other hand will poo on everything not protected.

I'd rather clean the canvas and eisenglass than bird crap.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

It depends what you have out there. I have a teak table and chairs with cushions and without enclosure they don’t get too wet. In Florida if the enclosure is down, it s too hot there anyway.

I took mine out years ago and also prefer it open. A possible compromise is to keep the side panels to get a little more rain protection but leave the stern open
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Screams will keep the damn birds out
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Screens will do it too

Damn spell check
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

So my 1989 49DC has a act deck hard top but no enclosure. The helm station is fully enclosed for traveling in the rain or cold weather. We are one of a few boats that has kept the aft deck open and other boaters that have been on our boat really like it compared to their enclosed aft deck. Although none have taken theirs down. As for bugs and mosquitos a enclosure can often keep the bugs inside. We do find times in the summer (usually the hour around dusk where it is impossible to sit outside. During most of the day mosquitoes are not a problem. We will use the mosquito coils to help when there are a few pesky ones around. The coils are reasonably useful if you can tolerate the smell. As for birds, they are not a problem where we are even though there are lots of seagulls, cormarants, bald eagles, and white pelicans. It’s the frighten 60 lb snapping turtles we need to be careful of. The fishermen feed them the guy similar to the tarpons in Florida. The turtles can grow to prehistoric size.

That should be 40 DC

I took all the enclosures off to make some repairs to them a year and a half ago and loved the open cockpit. I have not put them back since!

Our 43' DCFB offers us just the right amount of sun and rain coverage along with perfect 360 degree viewing.
    Jonathan Brein
    1982 43' DCFB #550
    "Paragon"
    Chesapeake, Virginia