Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Guns & Boating

Guns & Boating

Does anyone know what the rules are regarding a gun on a boat that travels from a gun okay state like SC to gun not okay state like NJ?

Re: Guns & Boating

Hide it well and don't tell

In New Jersey if u are caught with a spent shell casing - jail time.

Quote Originally Posted by Chasemmc View Post
    In New Jersey if u are caught with a spent shell casing - jail time.
    Absolutely wrong..... I live in NJ and enjoy my extensive gun collection with no problems. While NJ
    does have some of the most stringent gun regulations in the country it certainly is quite legal to own
    guns and ammo.... Concealed carry permits are about impossible to get and if you shoot someone
    with a hollow point bullet you're in deep trouble. You can however shoot all the hollow point bullets
    you desire, just don't have them with you during the commission of a crime. Many of us reload the
    spent shell casings many times over and it is quite legal....

Walt

I dont understand the NJ law on hollow point. Hollow point for the most part loses energy when it strikes an object. Ball ammo has the capacity to keep going and possible in a flipping manner. That flipping manner has the ability to change direction if comes in contact with a dense object. Which in my eyes hollow is better due to it "stops" instead of passing through and hitting something else like ball. Of course weight of bullet and load comes into play as well. Also the material that the bullet strikes.

Bob
    "CRAZY HORSE"

So if I'm reading this correctly, its the conceal part that runs afoul of NJ law. In GA the car / boat is considered an extension of the home and therefore requires no cc permit. Is that the same for NJ?

Guns and NJ don't mix. They arrested a federal Marshall for carrying I believe. I think you need a permit to even talk about guns.

First gun safety rule, carry one!

Bullets travel hundreds of feet per second, police arrive in a bunch of minutes(and it doesn't matter in Coward County sometimes), don't be a sitting duck, shooting back is better than just hiding!
    Last edited by Glory; 03-16-2018 at 01:04 PM. Reason: typo
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

Well I think I need to make a few points... I also think the hollow point rule is absolutely stupid, but
    just think who created that law..politicians. It's just one more reason to bust the chops of the law abiding
    gun owner. Second, In NJ you may take your gun from your home to your business or range or hunting
    and if your boat is capable of overnighting then that also applies. One major condition however is that
    the gun must be unloaded and inaccessible to the occupants of the motor vehicle during transport. There
    is no question that NJ has some of the dumbest gun laws in the country. Some years ago our elected
    leaders in their infinite wisdom decided that the old WW2 and Korea M-1 Carbine was too close to an
    assault weapon and could be made into fully automatic fairly easy so rather than turn it in to some
    gov't official I sent it to a friend in Fla. Still bugs me. My son is very unhappy with the NJ liberal
    environment including gun laws and is planning to move to Tenn. I think the communists..er liberals
    will take over that state and other conservative states eventually but I think at close to 81 it won't
    impact my life anymore... Sad what our country has become.....

Walt