Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Best House batteries

I have had good service with Lifeline.

George
    Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality"

2. Re: Best House batteries

Quote Originally Posted by Reefgeorge View Post
    I have had good service with Lifeline.

George
    Same. I have a couple group 24's in my speedboat that are 10 years old. They are not cheap but are high quality AGMs.

3. Re: Best House batteries

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    There's always the LiPoFe batteries. Half the weight and much faster charge.

They are rated at 80% discharge and 5000 cycles.
    They work great until they don't! With LiPo batteries implementation is critical along with heat management.

Boeing learned this the hard way: https://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/0...oeing_787_fix/

AGMs save you the maintenance but in my experience don't last that much longer.

It s hard to answer the original question without knowing the charging system setup. If they're all on the same charger then you re going to have to pretty much match them. If they're on different chargers then you can use 8Ds for the engines and anything for house. I like golf cart batteries for house and inverters as they are easier to handle n
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Lithium iron phosphate.

LiFePo. Spell check is a pita.

It was not the battery chemistry in that building article.

Lithium iron phosphate is safe, will not burn, is extremely efficient and each cell is individually managed in high quality batteries

I work with this technology a lot.

It's far superior to any other Battery Technology for solar homes, inverters and other critical Power Systems
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

6. Re: Best House batteries

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Lithium iron phosphate. LiFePo. Spell check is a pita.It was not the battery chemistry in that building article.Lithium iron phosphate is safe, will not burn, is extremely efficient and each cell is individually managed in high quality batteriesI work with this technology a lot.It's far superior to any other Battery Technology for solar homes, inverters and other critical Power Systems
    What sort of charge Managment do you need for them in terms of charges etc? I’m not familiar. This tech is clearly the future. Higher energy density is a good thing.

It's all part of the integrated system we sell.

There's a network between the battery electronics making the bank a system.

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload...-12-200-EN.pdf
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

At 3.2v per cell, it seems like they could make a 32v bank. There's probably not enough demand for that to build the charging system. I wonder if some other 32v charger could be used?
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Regardless of what battery brand and technology that you choose, keep in mind that you won't get the best battery life possible without proper temperature and voltage optimization. I made a number of changes to my system that got me there:

Better battery box ventilation

Completely separate charging management of the starting bank vs the house bank. Without this the starting bank gets constantly overcharged. That can be 2 chargers or independently managed charging channels.

Temp sensors on the batteries to modify the voltages as the battery temps change and shut down if something nasty happens

I went even further and put Balmar regulators on my engine alternators so that my batteries get the optimum charging stages when running. That included taking the generator alternator out of the circuit so that this does not interfere with the Balmars eventually going to float.

George
    Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality"

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    At 3.2v per cell, it seems like they could make a 32v bank. There's probably not enough demand for that to build the charging system. I wonder if some other 32v charger could be used?
    4 cells per battery.

The cool part is the battery manager fixes all the balance and charging problems without guessing. I add Balmar alternators and set them at 80% so they don't burn up as the low resistance of the batteries would make them think it needs 100% all the time.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.