Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Best House batteries

Greetings,
    I run a 4 battery system, 1 battery for each engine, and 2 batteries to use as the house batteries. I am replacing all 4 this Spring, and wanted to know if people had recommendations for the house batteries. I will most likely be buying CAT 8D's for the starting batteries, not looking to break the bank on the house batteries $300- $600 hopefully closer to the lower end of that range.
    Any suggestions would be helpful.
    Thanks

Re: Best House batteries

I just purchased another set of 4 Rolls Surrette 8D blue top's. The current ones are 10 years old and still testing good, but I'm not chancing it another season. They last twice as long and the additional cost (paid $515 a battery) more then offset by having to do job once every 10 years instead of every 4-5.

Victron AGM BAT412201080 ( terminals ) or BAT412201081 ( threaded insert ) $450 each plus $50 delivery ( one delivery charge per order)

https://www.victronenergy.com/batter...-agm-batteries

Ive not replaced one in over 5 years.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Looks like he is running one battery per engine must be 12V.
    Sams club get some 6volt golf cart for house
    Optima red top starting battery they will start any diesel with 12v starter and wont break your back like an 8d.
    Bob

If that were true the 8d would be gone and replaced by a pair or three grp 24 batteries in the same space.

The pure power of an 8d exceeds the total of 3 group 24 batteries. Without the mass of lead and the electrolytes in big battery the power will not be there.

As to the same club batteries. Remember they have batteries made for price not performance. You get what you pay for.

I've seen good agm batteries last 2x longer than flodded lead acid . Look at lifeline, victron and other quality batteries and stay away from the cheap ones unless you want cheap performance.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Agree with Scott. Buy the best batteries you can afford.

I bought 2 - 8D (AGM) Rolls-Surrette batteries about 4 years ago and they are as strong as when they were new. They are expensive though.

My house bank- FOUR 6VDC PARALLEL/SERIES TOTAL 870 AMPHOURS @ 20 HR Rate Trojan L16H-AC 435 ah each @ 20ah rate - These are "sweeper" batteries, the same footprint as golf cart batteries but much taller. Lot's of AH in a small footprint.

I am not a fan of AGM's. I have had several (and yes with the proper charger and settings) and none have lasted as long as a good quality standard lead acid battery (not the cheap Sams batteries).
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I am a fan of agm's but never have bought the more expensive lead/acid. My requirements are mainly for low self discharge rates which the Oddysey's I use have. Absentee owner with boat on the hard for six months with no power.
    I'm getting 6 to 7 years from them. 12v boat, two paralelled for engines and four for house. High charge rate as well is handy to shorten gen time.

There's always the LiPoFe batteries. Half the weight and much faster charge.

They are rated at 80% discharge and 5000 cycles.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.