Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

2010 13' Boston Whaler 130 SS

I've decided (very reluctantly) to sell the Whaler. too many close calls with the engine protruding over the starboard side. Icing on the cake was the lock with the 14' drop coming over to east coast FL after crossing the Okeechobee last month.

Excellent condition, less than 200 hours total time. New cushion on forward deck and new bucket seats that fold down. Extra 3 gallon reserve fuel tank. Asking $9900.

For some reason, my laptop is freezing up every time I try to post pics, but I will try to post some when I get back on board this evening.

In case anyone else is considering the same thing, I'm really smitten with the williams turbo jet 385. Expensive, but wow, compact, low profile, 12'6" length, great performance. Would welcome any observations if anyone has experience with these! Thanks
    Jerry B.
    "Sea Joy"
    Hull #318
    1977 58MY (Galley Up)
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL

Re: 2010 13' Boston Whaler 130 SS

Jet drives are heavy and inefficient. If it sucks up any weeds, you'll be going under there to clean them out before you go anywhere. I tried a jet tender once and decided against it.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Jet drives are heavy and inefficient. If it sucks up any weeds, you'll be going under there to clean them out before you go anywhere. I tried a jet tender once and decided against it.
    Thanks Sky, good to know (very!). Really appreciate that insight. Might have to reconsider, but still need to sell my 13', maybe I should think about the 9' Whaler...
    Jerry B.
    "Sea Joy"
    Hull #318
    1977 58MY (Galley Up)
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL

Quote Originally Posted by nautibake View Post
    Thanks Sky, good to know (very!). Really appreciate that insight. Might have to reconsider, but still need to sell my 13', maybe I should think about the 9' Whaler...
    Maybe take a look at the newer aluminum hulled RIBs. They are light and fast. My friend has a Highfield that seems like a really nice little boat.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Meh, I love my jet RIB. Easy on and off the boat. Easy on and off the beach. Easy in and out on the water. All of this without having to navigate a motor hanging in your way. She's been a great tender for many years. I'd prefer to sell the 4 stroke RIB and keep the jet.

jets are likely reliable enough in cold water without growth or grass as Sky mentioned. a Hilton Head mechanic mentioned to me that he LOVES jet boats, and sent 2 kids through college because of them. Likely the hinckley variety, since that is all I see around there. barnacle growth inside, overheat, rebuild , add some years, repeat. yamaha outboards seem to have 99 +% market share in the out islands where dependability is valued over about every other metric. detroit diesels do also!
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Ain't nothing in the world sucks up a ski line like a jet drive.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by rtrafford View Post
    Meh, I love my jet RIB. Easy on and off the boat. Easy on and off the beach. Easy in and out on the water. All of this without having to navigate a motor hanging in your way. She's been a great tender for many years. I'd prefer to sell the 4 stroke RIB and keep the jet.
    It was a tough call, but I decided to trade the Whaler 130 SS for a used Williams 385 jet tender with a rebuilt motor. 104 turbo HP on a 12 1/2 foot RIB. Wow. We will always have a soft spot for the Whaler, but there is no comparison in performance, ride, maneuverability and ease of on / off the fly bridge mount. Yes, we have to monitor the intake closely, already sucked up some seaweed. The key to the longevity is apparently a fresh water rinse on every outing, which is fine, we did that for the whaler as well.
    Attached Images
    Jerry B.
    "Sea Joy"
    Hull #318
    1977 58MY (Galley Up)
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL