Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Spec sheet

Spec sheet

I'm trying to get a listing spec sheet and photos of my boat to have it listed for sale this year. I was looking online for a printable pdf of an equipment list that I can fill so things don't get left off. Something that covers all equipment, length, draft, acessories, electronics, engines, regular maintenance performed and dates. I do have my receipts collected. Anything else that the members here wish that would be in a description of a vessel. I want it to be very comprehensive.

Thanks
    Walt Hoover

Re: Spec sheet

A good broker will have that and the information on the model of the boat.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I am not using a broker yet, just listing it by myself locally. Also many things get left out. No one knows the boat any better than the owner. Its a sportfish on Lake Ontario so it will take a while to see some serious interest, this is motoryacht territory.

Thanks
    Walt Hoover

Print a listing off yachtworld of a comparable model and add any missing info. Things get left out for a reason. Must work, you see it done a lot.

It's true that most of the time no one knows the boat better than the owner. It's also true that anyone selling the boat, whether it's the owner or a broker working for the owner, will have an incentive to emphasize the best features of the boat. One would hope that either of those two parties would be entirely candid about the boat when they write the description, but sadly that fails to happen sometimes.

You can use a listing of a similar boat as a model or template for your description. You should be as factual and complete as possible, include a lot of clear and recent photos of the boat, and be as complete as you can. Anything you leave out will be assumed to be negative, so be complete and be honest. A thorough and complete listing is the kind that gets passed around; even someone who is looking for something else will relay it to others because of the quality of the description.

Personally, I would take the Dragnet approach... just the facts. If you write a book, it's going to be counterproductive. No need to list everything that came standard on the boat, only pertinent upgrades that would add value or set yours apart from the same boat that came with everything yours has.

A picture is worth 1,000 words, so supply a lot of them, especially the engine room... assuming its photogenic. Save the words for when you have a prospective buyer. Just mention you have receipts and maintenance records as that alone will set you apart from many boats on the market.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

I agree about the maintenance records. Spot on.

Third the maintenance records. I have surveyed thousands of boats over the years and probably can count on one hand the boats I have found with even basic maintenance records. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.