Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: ER Blower pilot light replacement

I understand Ohms law and PIE. I suspected this is what they were for but wasn't sure. Now that I know I will solder the lead off the resistor to one of the flag terminals off the LED light I bought at auto parts place yesterday. It is 12 volts. This should fix my problem except I will need to replace both lights to match and the store only had one in stock. I was hoping the resistor was there to make it into 12 volts and not as a dimmer or something

2. Re: ER Blower pilot light replacement

Quote Originally Posted by Briankinley2004 View Post
    I understand Ohms law and PIE. I suspected this is what they were for but wasn't sure. Now that I know I will solder the lead off the resistor to one of the flag terminals off the LED light I bought at auto parts place yesterday. It is 12 volts. This should fix my problem except I will need to replace both lights to match and the store only had one in stock. I was hoping the resistor was there to make it into 12 volts and not as a dimmer or something
    As far as I can recall the blower lights are not on the dimmer circuit only the gauges.

I think you are correct. I am going down Friday and will find out for sure

Quote Originally Posted by Briankinley2004 View Post
    I think you are correct. I am going down Friday and will find out for sure
    They are not on dimmers.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Had another wild idea today. I bought a replacement voltmeter on my dash from this site. Instead of having a metal back its plastic. The 32 volt light won't fit in the hole in back and a 12 volt light was provided with a bulb that I cant find a 32 volt replacement for. I am wondering if I can remove the 32 volt lamp holder and solder one of these resistors to its wire then connect the provided 12 volt bulb including a ground wire. I believe it will work however I am concerned if it will work hooked to the boats dimmer which the other instrument lights are connected. Has anyone done this or know the laws of physics in this scenario. I am wondering if the resistor will allow dimming when the 32 volts feeding it is reduced when the dimming switch is turned

Less in = Less out.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Ok the LED connected to the resistor worked once I got the polarity right. Had trouble getting the wires hot enough to melt the solder. Not sure if it was the resistor or what but wound up crimping it. Will try the resistor on instrument lights soon

Quote Originally Posted by MVCaprice View Post
    If this happens i would recommend switching to LED's. I have found some that are very close which i have used on the bridge bilge lights with resistors. I just soldered in some resistors and wire so i can replace them as I go. Attachment 24857

Here are the Mouser P/N's

645-6123132130F
    MFG Part No:612-3132-130F
    612-3132-130F
    Dialight LED Panel Mount Indicators
    US HTS:8541402000 ECCN:EAR99 COO:JP

Caprice do you have any info on the resistors. The Mouser lights are on 10 week backorder. I have found another replacement on that locally but need to know resistor info if you have it