Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: 55C Bridge seat drain

Quote Originally Posted by Briankinley2004 View Post
    Pulled up a hunk of old caulk and found a hole big enough to stick my fingers in yesterday. Nothing to support any caulk. I suppose the coring was rotted out. I sprayed the high density locktite foam in the void to fill it as a caulk backer. It appears to be closed cell and dense enough to do the job but I know foam and water dont mix. I cut it flush with deck built up 4200 over the foam after cleaning with acetone. The only concern is I couldn't see anything even with a lighted mirror. All work was done by feel and thats not good when it comes to water. If this doesn't work I am going to figure out how to attache something to the drain tube end and route it outside the cavity. This is a mess.
    possibly run it like I did in earlier post. It solved my problem.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Robert I was planning to ask you for pictures if my mess didnt work. I am halfway visualizing what you and P O did but as they say a picture is worth 1K words.

Well the caulk mess didnt work. We washed the bridge out yesterday and the water ran all over the place as usual. Only way I see to caulk successfully is to use some kind of flexible hose on the gun along with a mirror and a dyslexic midget. So I opened the hole to where the tube under the seat goes into the chase to accommodate a 3/4" copper elbow. I then bedded it in 5200 and extended the copper on out within inches of the drain hole at the back of bridge. If this doesn't work I am going to open the drain hole to 3/4" and run the copper on out the bridge. Hopefully this is going to work

Robert I was planning to ask you for pictures if my mess didnt work. I am halfway visualizing what you and P O did but as they say a picture is worth 1K words.
    I can take pics tomorrow.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

that would be great. If this copper pipe doesn't work I may need do go the route you chose

Here you go. Pic 1 is the drain you're having problems with.

IMG_8931.JPG

Pic 2 is the inside of the seat showing the drain tube and the hole drilled in the rear of the compartment leading under the helm.

IMG_8932.JPG

Pic 3 is the channel I added to direct the water out the back of the helm console through the existing drain. You can see the yellow from the pollen that drained through.

IMG_8934.JPG

PO used a tube in place of the channel and it was always clogged. This works. You have to build a damn on the outside of the channel just before water exits the console to keep it from going into the port side void where it can find the chases. Feel free to email me with any questions. It's hard to get a good pic in there.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Roger. I have the same channel but from feeling it seems like it runs all the way to the back to the exit hole, thus requiring the water to build up over the channel lip to drain which causes it to get in the chase. On pic 1 mine also has a copper tube penetrating the top of the chase that drains the seat into the system. I suppose I can cut a notch in the channel if I can get back there with a Dremel or something. Caulking is a mess. My channel also has many more wires and pipes running over them than shown in your picture. My copper tube deal worked good today but I will have to keep it unstopped

It also occurred to me this week that if I can ever get my Eisenglass enclosures back from the tarp shop and installed this night mare will come to an end except when washing the boat. That I can control alot more than blowing driving rain. Had the P O not neglected the boat and left the enclosure on, no matter how bad it was, the top of my generator wouldn't be so rusted and the wood under it rotten. Oh well if they had taken care of it I would have had to pay 100 grand more and probably not own the boat

It also occurred to me this week that if I can ever get my Eisenglass enclosures back from the tarp shop and installed this night mare will come to an end except when washing the boat. That I can control alot more than blowing driving rain. Had the P O not neglected the boat and left the enclosure on, no matter how bad it was, the top of my generator wouldn't be so rusted and the wood under it rotten. Oh well if they had taken care of it I would have had to pay 100 grand more and probably not own the boat
    Just kick’n the can down the road. You don’t know where all the water is going.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC