Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

55C Bridge seat drain

I have been on my boat several times during steady rain and never noticed any leaks. We got a very heavy rain this week and I noticed water dripping on my generator from engine room ceiling. Directly above is the walkway thru the salon and the carpet and all was dry there. I looked all around on bridge and couldn't find any openings where water was getting thru. I did, however, find a drain in the bridge port seating with a tube that ran through the bridge deck under the seat. I cannot find where it terminates. I pulled out my drawings but didnt see anything there. Does anyone know where this line discharges or how it is routed once it gets below the bridge deck?

Re: 55C Bridge seat drain

I can help you with that, I think. My port side seat drain exits at the rear of the flybridge up in the overlap over the salon. The PO hard trouble with this, apparently, and so have I. I've reversed flushed and tried running a fish tape with not a lot of luck.

The PO cut a hole through the helm console to the back corner of the deck below the seat. He put in a tube to carry the drainage through the console and out the drain at it's rear.

This wasn't working so well because the tube easily clogged and you can't get to it's mouth unless you're a child. I pulled out the tube and expanded the hole allowing water to easily flow from the fwd flybridge and under seat area through the console and out. Knowing that I didn't want water loose under there, I screwed and 5200's down a piece of aluminum L to keep the drainage in it's own channel. I also glassed up the inside of the console base to ensure water didn't migrate outside of the pathway into the void that carries wiring and cables down to the ER exiting over the generator. Now, there's nothing to clog.

BTWa, another source of water in the are you mentioned would be a clogged condensate line from the salon air handler at the back corner.

Does this make sense or help?
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

This is really the only 'what were they thinking' moment I've had on my boat (52c). Our fwd flybridge appears to have no drainage at all. The seats all have channels that drain them into the compartments, the floor has a hole draining the bridge to under the seat... Then once under the seat there is no drain hole at all, water just pools/puddles.

It really makes washing/cleaning the bridge a pita. I've got to get in there and figure out some way to add a drain channel or tube so it will at least drain out.

Honestly I don't like anything draining into a storage compartment, takes forever for it to dry and just invites mold/mildew, plus it makes it so you pretty much can't store anything in the compartment.

Robert,

Definitely not the air handler as I did not run that unit at all during the past week I spent on the boat. Also the water was dripping steady into the engine room while it was raining and as soon as the rain quit the water stopped shortly there after. I am wondering if the line has a hole in it somewhere in the chase behind the electrical panels & a/c unit area. The generator had alot of rust on it that I thought was from a dripping condensate pan above it. I have never seen water come out and the a/c unit was replaced so I thought that was the case until I was there during this heavy rain. I guess it was raining hard enough to get alot of water in the seats. I will look for the exit hole next time but I am assuming its on the ceiling of the salon "porch" overhang from the way I visualize your description

Rusty it sounds to me like some of the tubing is missing on yours. My starboard side drains as you say but I noticed a clam fastened to the deck that appeared to have once held a vinyl tube that would have carried the water out the nearby notch in the base. The one I am thinking is my water leak actually penetrates the deck from the seat and goes to an unknown to me location

Quote Originally Posted by Briankinley2004 View Post
    Robert,

Definitely not the air handler as I did not run that unit at all during the past week I spent on the boat. Also the water was dripping steady into the engine room while it was raining and as soon as the rain quit the water stopped shortly there after. I am wondering if the line has a hole in it somewhere in the chase behind the electrical panels & a/c unit area. The generator had alot of rust on it that I thought was from a dripping condensate pan above it. I have never seen water come out and the a/c unit was replaced so I thought that was the case until I was there during this heavy rain. I guess it was raining hard enough to get alot of water in the seats. I will look for the exit hole next time but I am assuming its on the ceiling of the salon "porch" overhang from the way I visualize your description
    Correct on the location.

Possibly the drain is overflowing under the seat or the line is compromised leaking water into the void on the left side of bridge. On my boat, the wiring going into the chase enters a conduit. The conduit is flush with the base, so there's nothing to stop errant water from taking the express south. I think there are two conduits there. If so, the other goes to the electrical panel in the salon. I'd be jumping on that one PDQ.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

I have two tubes and both stick a couple inches above the deck. I also have another chase behind the tubes which the telefax cables go through and it also has a boot. All that area was dry when I opened the access panel just aft of the helm console. Trust me this is my main priority when I am able to get back down there. I have a large pan on the generator to catch it if it leaks again. I have been in engine room during rain many times before and never noticed a drip. I guess it takes alot of rain or a blowing rain. No telling what is wet behind that electrical panel that hasn't shown up as drips in slower rains. If I find this is my water source I will probably cut the line before it goes through deck and re-rout into larger piping discharging at an accessible location

Perplexing. Maybe flood the bridge and see if you can replicate. Was water dripping off overhead wiring onto gen? I don’t see any other way for water to get in other than the chase or air handler pan (on my boat).
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Yes it was dripping off the wires running athwartship over the generator. There are so many of them it was hard to see. My wife suggested flooding the bridge as well so I have to try that irregardless. Im gonna start by running water in that drain tube on the seat and see where/if it comes out. It kills me that I cant get down there for another two weeks but I gotta work

Quote Originally Posted by Briankinley2004 View Post
    Yes it was dripping off the wires running athwartship over the generator. There are so many of them it was hard to see. My wife suggested flooding the bridge as well so I have to try that irregardless. Im gonna start by running water in that drain tube on the seat and see where/if it comes out. It kills me that I cant get down there for another two weeks but I gotta work
    Then I'm betting the under seat is backing up into the console where it can get over to the chases.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC