Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Cumberland River Info

Anybody ever navigated the uncharted parts?

Looking at delivering a boat for a guy who bought a boat on Lake Cumberland (landlocked), and it's going to have to be trucked from the lake to a ramp below the dam on the river. This is one of those spur of the moment type moves, so I'm hoping I can find somebody who has run the thing. I've run it from around Hendersonville/Gallatin on to the Ohio, but never that particular stretch which is indeed devoid of nav markers. Just a pretty shade of blue on the ole' Navionics and where the paper charts end/begin. With that, I'm looking at some 80 miles of reading the river , which is probably muddier than dammitt right now.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

2. Re: Cumberland River Info

I haven't, but a former marina neighbor did. He took a flat bottom houseboat [I assume that's what you'll be taking] from the dam ramp to Gallatin with no issues from the river [the boat was another thing]. I seem to remember that he timed his departure with discharges from the dam, leaving fairly soon after generation began and running with the current. Of course, in the old days, steamboats ran all the way to Burnside. I almost bought a boat on the lake and planned to do the trip from the ramp, but didn't make the purchase. I've always regretted not having the chance to see that portion of the Cumberland, as the Cordell Hull scenery is some of the finest on the inland waters. Good luck!
    Bill
    Brickell - Miami, Fl
    Cape Elizabeth, Maine

Re: Cumberland River Info

Finally, a post I can contribute to...maybe. I have boated on Lake Cumberland for many years. The stretch between the dam and Burkesville is questionable in a large boat. Currently, the COE is discharging at a high rate since the lake is above summer pool which may help you if you are leaving soon.

I had a friend who took his 50' Sea Ray to FL by water from Lake Cumberland and they had it hauled to Burkesville to avoid the river near the dam. It was rather pricey as you could imagine. With that said, it has been done all the way up to the boat ramp by the dam in large boats.

You might try calling the COE at Lake Cumberland to ask for info/suggestions.

PM me offline if you would like to connect. I am glad to call around to try to find local knowledge.

80 miles of non marked waterway. That's too much liability if you ask me. I did hear the old charts were used as skins on banjos. Maybe you can find one.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Propeller Head View Post
    Finally, a post I can contribute to...maybe. I have boated on Lake Cumberland for many years. The stretch between the dam and Burkesville is questionable in a large boat. Currently, the COE is discharging at a high rate since the lake is above summer pool which may help you if you are leaving soon.

I had a friend who took his 50' Sea Ray to FL by water from Lake Cumberland and they had it hauled to Burkesville to avoid the river near the dam. It was rather pricey as you could imagine. With that said, it has been done all the way up to the boat ramp by the dam in large boats.

You might try calling the COE at Lake Cumberland to ask for info/suggestions.

PM me offline if you would like to connect. I am glad to call around to try to find local knowledge.
    Thanks for the input and the offer. They're spilling water and running multiple generators which will make things all but impossible, in my opinion, to utilize the ramp that's just below the dam. If it's like any other such dam I've been around, it'll be somewhere between a Class II and Class III rapid with all that going on. Plenty of water, but it'll be all white! I talked to the owner this morning who agreed to wait until things calm down a bit. If not, it would be me on the bridge hoping the engines would fire when the boat comes off the trailer. Great time to lose a fuel pump (or any number of ailments) on a gasser with carbs. Can you say, along for the ride, boys and girls?

I asked about having the boat trucked further downstream, but that would involve removing the bridge. That's another neat thing, this boat has no lower control station and no bridge enclosure or windshield of any kind. To say it would be sporting is a mild understatement this time of year. I'm supposed to talk to the selling broker tomorrow who has made the trip, but I've also talked to friends who have fished that area below the dam. They seem to thing it's better suited to jon boats. This is a 38' Carver that drafts 30". I'm thinking mid-April would be about right.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Wow! I fly fish that section from the dam in a drift boat and no way would I attempt it in a big boat. You better be real good reading water and hope conditions are perfect to see. Also with all gates open is a whole lot of water. You might consider hiring a guide to travel with you for the first section until it gets deeper.
    Captain Paul Stich
    1976 Hatteras 48 LRC

Guy actually called me yesterday and said he had gotten someone else to move the boat. When I said, "Glad you got it moved, and thanks for calling", I really meant, THANK GOD I DON'T HAVE TO MESS WITH IT!!
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93