Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: Monthly utility bill

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    OK, who out there knows how to build this economically and practically?
    This unit says it will accept #3 gauge wire. I have not taken a very close look at it. IF you can determine the gauge of your wires and IF you can find a spot to access them perhaps something like this would work.
    Otherwise, you are looking at male and female 50A connectors, some cable and a box to house it all. Alternatively you will need current rings etc..

https://www.ekmmetering.com/basic-kw...ekm-25ids.html

I was very close to installing one on our boat because they get 85 cents a kwh in the Bahamas.
    Regards
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Mapes View Post
    This unit says it will accept #3 gauge wire. I have not taken a very close look at it. IF you can determine the gauge of your wires and IF you can find a spot to access them perhaps something like this would work. Otherwise, you are looking at male and female 50A connectors, some cable and a box to house it all. Alternatively you will need current rings etc.. https://www.ekmmetering.com/basic-kw...ekm-25ids.html I was very close to installing one on our boat because they get 85 cents a kwh in the Bahamas.
    Interesting. Thanks
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

From my experience, it boils down to three primary factors: 1) Accuracy of meter, 2) Price of power per kWh, and 3) Power consumption on the boat. Over the years I have kept track of this, especially in the Bahamas. During the summer months in the Bahamas we typically consume 60kWh's per day. This includes running a water maker every couple of days, 5 A/Cs, and water heater. The general rule of thumb is turn it off if we leave the boat or not using the area. If one or more of the three factors spikes, it yields significant power expense. Below is an example of Florida Vs Bahamas electric. Its easy to see what is reasonable in the US can quickly get out of hand in the Bahamas or some greedy US marinas or defective meter.

30 day consumption of 60 kWh per day:
    Florida Power Light $0.08 per kWh = $0.08 x 60 kWh day => $4.80 x 30 days => $144 month
    Bahamas Marina $0.65 per kWh = $0.65 x 60 kWh day => $39 x 30 days => $1,170 month
    Best regards,
    --
    David

If you have space for the current transformers in your AC panel this might be a better solution and easier.

It would involve opening the panel disconnecting the cables from the buss bars and sliding on the current transformers (CT's). If you have room in the panel or elsewhere for the rings it could be a pretty cheap addition. Note the caution about how to maintain the CTs without a meter attached.

Check the required items links at this site: https://www.ekmmetering.com/120-240v-package.html
    Regards
    Dan

Lightbulb Re: Monthly utility bill

Quote Originally Posted by Hat52MY View Post

Florida Power Light $0.08 per kWh = $0.08 x 60 kWh day => $4.80 x 30 days => $144 month
    Bahamas Marina $0.65 per kWh = $0.65 x 60 kWh day => $39 x 30 days => $1,170 month
    Thanks, this gives me a good idea to go by if we/when we decide to take her down there!
    James
    53' MY "No Regrets"
    I.O.P, S.C.

Quote Originally Posted by Hat52MY View Post
    $0.08 per KWH in Florida. Could use some of that in eastern NC where it is $0.12 per KWH, with all the adders included.
    Pete
    1976 Hatteras 48 LRC
    Blue Chip

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    $0.08 per KWH in Florida. Could use some of that in eastern NC where it is $0.12 per KWH, with all the adders included.
    Youre lucky. We only have another $2 billion left to pay for two abandoned reactors.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC