Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Monthly utility bill

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    As another data point, our boat, behind the house just south of New Bern, NC, was using $1/hour of electricity during the unusually cold period a few weeks back. The dock service has a monitor on it and showed 7 KW/HR during the worst of it.

BTW, given multiple Pete's as members, I added signature info to help sort us out.
    Meant to mention that I relocated to a temporary slip during dock replacement. First month, no bill. The meter didn't register.

When I moved back to my old T-head, I recorded the meter reading at slip I vacated. The next day (about 24 hours) I look another reading. The meter registered usage when no boat was docked there. It's not supposed to register the night light. A few days later, I took the reading in my present slip and unplugged overnight. The morning reading was the same. There is a night light there as well.

This marina is full of stories of sailboats with $20 bills jumping to $150 or power boats registering $0 to $400 for a month. From time to time, I think about installing my own meter between shore power receptacle and power cord. Not sure if it's practical or not. Anyway, I've got enough on my plate already. What I do do is record the number monthly and at least make sure the marina invoice and the meter agree.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    Meant to mention that I relocated to a temporary slip during dock replacement. First month, no bill. The meter didn't register.

When I moved back to my old T-head, I recorded the meter reading at slip I vacated. The next day (about 24 hours) I look another reading. The meter registered usage when no boat was docked there. It's not supposed to register the night light. A few days later, I took the reading in my present slip and unplugged overnight. The morning reading was the same. There is a night light there as well.

This marina is full of stories of sailboats with $20 bills jumping to $150 or power boats registering $0 to $400 for a month. From time to time, I think about installing my own meter between shore power receptacle and power cord. Not sure if it's practical or not. Anyway, I've got enough on my plate already. What I do do is record the number monthly and at least make sure the marina invoice and the meter agree.
    that would be nice if the meter readings weren't in the locked up office. We're vacating early and telling the owner to pay the bill himself from our already paid dockage

Robert we were in a marina that had similar problems. They had made up a portable meter with plug ends that could be placed in line with your cord. It was amazing the difference that meter got compared with the built in meters. It made me want to make up my own to have. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett View Post
    Robert we were in a marina that had similar problems. They had made up a portable meter with plug ends that could be placed in line with your cord. It was amazing the difference that meter got compared with the built in meters. It made me want to make up my own to have. John
    OK, who out there knows how to build this economically and practically?
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

If you have the old three knob controls, they shift automatically to heat as the cabin cools at night. If that's your case, disconnect the control wire that turns on the heat. Also set the blower fan to run only when the AC is running.

Bobk

Our marina has meters one each slip controlled by power company not the marina. In February we had bitter cold, pipe freezing weather. I turned block heaters on for a couple weeks while we were gone. Never ran the HVAC or other stuff except when we were staying abroad. The bill was $200 that month. Cost per KWH probably varies alot by location but this would be a high load as they throw the 50 amp dock breaker when ran with water heater and a little more ac load. We have seen the 70-80 range for other months when we stay on board maybe 7 days and no other real load other than chargers etc when we are gone. My duck camp runs about 15 a month with all breakers turned off during summer and peak load is a little under 200 when everyone there all the time

to the earlier question of where we were ..... patriots point-mt pleasant. IMHO the ownership tells the staff to raise revenue, creatively if necessary.
    (thread creep-apology)I have never stayed anywhere where a 4 month stay generated 2 TAX BILLS OVER 2 TAX YEARS from the municipality. Neither bill was legitimate or correct, but had to be documented, certified mail, followed up.
    It reminded me of the old 'speed trap towns' where transients pay so locals do not have too.
    A neighbor Hatt, who was selling his 52C, told me to register in SC or watch out for charleston county. good advice.
    pretty place.
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750

Quote Originally Posted by bobk View Post
    If you have the old three knob controls, they shift automatically to heat as the cabin cools at night. If that's your case, disconnect the control wire that turns on the heat. Also set the blower fan to run only when the AC is running.

Bobk
    All our controls are SMX II

Quote Originally Posted by carolinacoast View Post
    to the earlier question of where we were ..... patriots point-mt pleasant. IMHO the ownership tells the staff to raise revenue, creatively if necessary.
    (thread creep-apology)I have never stayed anywhere where a 4 month stay generated 2 TAX BILLS OVER 2 TAX YEARS from the municipality. Neither bill was legitimate or correct, but had to be documented, certified mail, followed up.
    It reminded me of the old 'speed trap towns' where transients pay so locals do not have too.
    A neighbor Hatt, who was selling his 52C, told me to register in SC or watch out for charleston county. good advice.
    pretty place.
    I seem to hear a good bit of negative re: PP. Way too much growth too fast.

The counties are definitely after the revenue. I don't understand the 4 mos. deal you mentioned (or getting a bill from a town under any circumstances) unless you stayed more than 6 months and split between marinas in Charleston County. The marinas are required to report monthly on boats docked, and the counties also access USCG documentation records. They do tend to start at the high end 11% personal property rate. It's automatic to get it to 6% (non-primary residence) by asking. I know a good many boaters who qualify for the primary residence 4% rate and leave it on the table. Charleston, as counties go in SC, is pretty easy to work with.

I don't get the speed trap analogy in this case. You can stay six months, often longer, with no tax liability. And, if you're paying property tax somewhere else, you aren't liable in SC or anyplace else I'm aware. Looks like transients are the one's getting the break on this one. You may recall the court case involving yacht taxation that went to SC Supreme Court several years back decided in county's favor. I can assure you us locals are paying.

But just to make sure our well earned small southern hick-town image is kept in tact, I can give you some towns that make it up on fines. We like to think our out of state guests are courteously extended preferential treatment. Y'all come back now, ya hear!
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    I seem to hear a good bit of negative re: PP. Way too much growth too fast.

The counties are definitely after the revenue. I don't understand the 4 mos. deal you mentioned (or getting a bill from a town under any circumstances) unless you stayed more than 6 months and split between marinas in Charleston County. The marinas are required to report monthly on boats docked, and the counties also access USCG documentation records. They do tend to start at the high end 11% personal property rate. It's automatic to get it to 6% (non-primary residence) by asking. I know a good many boaters who qualify for the primary residence 4% rate and leave it on the table. Charleston, as counties go in SC, is pretty easy to work with.

I don't get the speed trap analogy in this case. You can stay six months, often longer, with no tax liability. And, if you're paying property tax somewhere else, you aren't liable in SC or anyplace else I'm aware. Looks like transients are the one's getting the break on this one. You may recall the court case involving yacht taxation that went to SC Supreme Court several years back decided in county's favor. I can assure you us locals are paying.

But just to make sure our well earned small southern hick-town image is kept in tact, I can give you some towns that make it up on fines. We like to think our out of state guests are courteously extended preferential treatment. Y'all come back now, ya hear!
    Robert, you are on point! Thanks for keeping us 'In Tact'.
    Carolina & Ageless,
    We are @ a private slip on IOP,SC. and receive electric bills as high as $700 a quarter (Peak winter & Summer). Now we do have usually a lot running (WH, 1 or 2 AC/Heat, TV, chargers, Lgts, stove & fridge...) and as low as $400 a quarter (fall & spring). Now, as for metering, it would be very interesting indeed to place a meter of our own to compare to PSC. It has been reported by other boat owners at our docks and some smaller vessels where they have seen as much as 1K a quarter! Had HOA send out tech to measure each dock box seeking for stray current... Still haven't given us an answer yet as to inconsistency between our bills!

BTW- Was wondering what is the average KW per day or month usage for anyone else vessel our size based on above criteria? Looking at a trip in near future to Bahamas and dock where are looking at charges .65 cents per KW. I haven't measured the average usage to compare or calculate as of yet.
    James
    53' MY "No Regrets"
    I.O.P, S.C.