Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
As another data point, our boat, behind the house just south of New Bern, NC, was using $1/hour of electricity during the unusually cold period a few weeks back. The dock service has a monitor on it and showed 7 KW/HR during the worst of it.

BTW, given multiple Pete's as members, I added signature info to help sort us out.
Meant to mention that I relocated to a temporary slip during dock replacement. First month, no bill. The meter didn't register.

When I moved back to my old T-head, I recorded the meter reading at slip I vacated. The next day (about 24 hours) I look another reading. The meter registered usage when no boat was docked there. It's not supposed to register the night light. A few days later, I took the reading in my present slip and unplugged overnight. The morning reading was the same. There is a night light there as well.

This marina is full of stories of sailboats with $20 bills jumping to $150 or power boats registering $0 to $400 for a month. From time to time, I think about installing my own meter between shore power receptacle and power cord. Not sure if it's practical or not. Anyway, I've got enough on my plate already. What I do do is record the number monthly and at least make sure the marina invoice and the meter agree.