Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
  1. Re: 12-71 coolant change details

Quote Originally Posted by VIKING63 View Post
    I just changed the coolant in my 12v71. Seams like it is never going to stop draining. You may want to replace your hoses and clamps at this time. Since it is all drained down. Also take off the fuel cooler and remove the heat exhanger and perform the DD recommend procedures. All though the wood bleach is getting hard to find. I have TA engines. The exhaust elbows always seam to clogged the most.
    So far i have found 5 drains. Two on the back part of the block underneath the exhaust manifolds which looks to be at the lowest point. One on each of the bottom back of the exhaust manifolds (salt water???) and one at the bottom of the expansion tank to water pump hard line. What am i missing? Any where else to expect a drain?

Re: 12-71 coolant change details

Quote Originally Posted by MVCaprice View Post
    So far i have found 5 drains. Two on the back part of the block underneath the exhaust manifolds which looks to be at the lowest point. One on each of the bottom back of the exhaust manifolds (salt water???) and one at the bottom of the expansion tank to water pump hard line. What am i missing? Any where else to expect a drain?
    Front of block above main pulley opposite side from water pump and bottom of oil cooler. Always possible someone replaced drain cock with a plug. The manifold drains are coolant. No salt water there.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

3. Re: 12-71 coolant change details

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    Front of block above main pulley opposite side from water pump and bottom of oil cooler. Always possible someone replaced drain cock with a plug. The manifold drains are coolant. No salt water there.
    Thanks Robert! The seven drain magic number I have been looking for.
    Last edited by MVCaprice; 03-19-2018 at 04:19 PM.

4. Re: 12-71 coolant change details

I actually found there are 8 drains. There was an additional drain at the bottom of the transmission / oil cooler unit. A couple of the drain cocks were failing so i bought replacements. I am also doing hoses at this time as some of them looked horrible.

I decided that i wanted to pull, inspect and clean the HE while i was in there. Here is what they look like:

20180326_031508594_iOS.jpg20180326_031514450_iOS.jpg

Also, When you folks have reinstalled the HE (after cleaning) do you apply the gaskets dry or do you use a gasket tack material or sealant in addition to the paper gaskets? My gut is to use a gasket tack material, but I wanted to ask and see what has been working for folks before I throw them back in a week or two.
    Last edited by MVCaprice; 03-26-2018 at 01:17 PM.

Front of engine above main pulley. HE or HE piping. Oil cooler. Water jackets (2). Rear block (2); one is over and above the starter so protect it. I counted 7.
    I covered that when I answered you originally and mentioned oil cooler drain. I think I posted again showing a ball valve I installed there (oil cooler). So where is #8???
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

6. Re: 12-71 coolant change details

I covered that when I answered you originally and mentioned oil cooler drain. I think I posted again showing a ball valve I installed there (oil cooler). So where is #8???
    You may be right now that I think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by MVCaprice View Post
    You may be right now that I think about it.
    Then we both might be in trouble.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

8. Re: 12-71 coolant change details

Any thoughts on the condition of the HE's? Common deposit level?

9. Re: 12-71 coolant change details

Well the HE's cleaned up good! I am thinking that i will use "high tack" along with the paper gaskets to seal her back up. Any suggestions?

20180328_014544316_iOS.jpg20180328_020710064_iOS.jpg20180328_020857393_iOS.jpg