Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Re: 12-71 coolant change details

Quote Originally Posted by rustybucket View Post
    Where are you located? I'm down in Florida and i used Napacool, available at napa and distilled water. Of course we don't really face many freezing conditions so it may not work for you?

EDIT: I have 8v-92's, may not be the same recommendations for 71's
    I'm in Seattle. I have read that the Detroit coolant is better for our engines. I have also found over time on some of my other projects that the zerex/napa etc auto coolant is pretty low grade when compared with Delo ELC / Cat/ Detroit marine /industrial grade coolants.

Re: 12-71 coolant change details

Quote Originally Posted by MVCaprice View Post
    I'm in Seattle. I have read that the Detroit coolant is better for our engines. I have also found over time on some of my other projects that the zerex/napa etc auto coolant is pretty low grade when compared with Delo ELC / Cat/ Detroit marine /industrial grade coolants.
    You can buy DD Power Cool in 50/50 premix. Shouldn't pay more than $8.50 gal. Last I bought was $5.45/gal.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

3. Re: 12-71 coolant change details

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    You can buy DD Power Cool in 50/50 premix. Shouldn't pay more than $8.50 gal. Last I bought was $5.45/gal.
    Pacific Power Group up here wants the following for their powercool:

10.56 per gallon concentrate
    premix 7.19 per gallon

Typical!

4. Re: 12-71 coolant change details

In my search for good prices on powercool i came across this DD press release showing they they make 3 different versions of powercool:

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2004/11/prweb175673.htm

Are you folks using the off highway or the marine version? Seems like with most being in florida/southern us the marine may be the right route. I may be able to get away with that as well.

Actually the Napacool is not a coolant per se, it's an additive package that is added directly to distilled water. It is a fleet additive package, not what I would call an auto grade.

In my search for good prices on powercool i came across this DD press release showing they they make 3 different versions of powercool:

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2004/11/prweb175673.htm

Are you folks using the off highway or the marine version? Seems like with most being in florida/southern us the marine may be the right route. I may be able to get away with that as well.
    I use standard Power Cool. One source carries pre-mix only, another branch carries concentrate only. I prefer the pre-mix, but I can easily see going to a lower concentration around here as a more efficient cooling mix. Here are the 2-cycle specs from DDC:

https://brandon314.files.wordpress.c...selections.pdf

I think the marine stuff you linked to is spec'd for MTU motors. Haven't bothered to check it out, but if it says "MTU" or "marine" get out the wallet.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Detroit now also has a coolant with a cleaning agent in it. My Detroit tech up north put it in my Bertram last fall as when I purchased it, the coolent was filthy in one of the engines. I had both done just to start fresh. He said you can only use it up north in heated storage as it’s freeze point isn’t as low as the normal Detroit coolant. Just an FYI.

8. Re: 12-71 coolant change details

I am just about ready to go on this.

20180313_191634971_iOS.jpg20180315_162358650_iOS.jpg

Should be good times!

I just changed the coolant in my 12v71. Seams like it is never going to stop draining. You may want to replace your hoses and clamps at this time. Since it is all drained down. Also take off the fuel cooler and remove the heat exhanger and perform the DD recommend procedures. All though the wood bleach is getting hard to find. I have TA engines. The exhaust elbows always seam to clogged the most.

10. Re: 12-71 coolant change details

I agree the hoses are easy to swap at this time and great insurance. I'm going to do the water pumps 2.5" , 3" & 3.5" hoses in the area at this time. I am also replacing the overflow lines which are super old with clear silicone (which should be easy to see any coolant in and i have a handful of gaskets to get the heat exchanger work done. I dug into my service manual and took a pic to share of the DD recommended cleaning procedure:

20180318_034939448_iOS.jpg