Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Re: Galley Maid head pump issue

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    I don't know what shape your motor is in, but I'm betting mine was worse.

Attachment 24638
    A little JB Weld should fix er right up!!!!! HAHAHA

Re: Galley Maid head pump issue

Quote Originally Posted by MVCaprice View Post
    A little JB Weld should fix er right up!!!!! HAHAHA
    No HAHAHA. UHHUHUHHUHUH HUH! That was included in the rebuild cost caus'n they couldn't find an end cap. Leaking seal caused it. Motor rebuilt, seal replaced and tidy-bowl man on the job.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Im going down tomorrow. Will check discharge line as well. I was thinking it went out below water line but I will figure out something.

4. Re: Galley Maid head pump issue

When it happened to me I had recently changed a stator which somehow caused a bunch of hardened buildup to break free in the discharge line which caused the blockage. I ended up using a metal phish and water pressure to clear it. It was very obvious though. Those galley maid motors are not small and the load on the motor was intense. Another scenario that could cause similar results are string or something else (who knows what) that could be clogging up the rotor.

5. Re: Galley Maid head pump issue

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    No HAHAHA. UHHUHUHHUHUH HUH! That was included in the rebuild cost caus'n they couldn't find an end cap. Leaking seal caused it. Motor rebuilt, seal replaced and tidy-bowl man on the job.
    Is that steel? I would have brought it home and welded it up with some stainless wire. I was totally kidding. Sorry! What a ^&*( show!

When it happened to me I had recently changed a stator which somehow caused a bunch of hardened buildup to break free in the discharge line which caused the blockage. I ended up using a metal phish and water pressure to clear it. It was very obvious though. Those galley maid motors are not small and the load on the motor was intense. Another scenario that could cause similar results are string or something else (who knows what) that could be clogging up the rotor.
    I did change both stators or rotors. Whatever the rubber parts are called. Im pretty sure its not string as I pulled the pump. Im not ruling out a partially clogged discharge though. The bowl clears and new water comes in so I think those lines are clear but not sure where its going.

Well it better be going into your holding tanks. Check to make sure your vent is also clear.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Is that steel? I would have brought it home and welded it up with some stainless wire. I was totally kidding. Sorry! What a ^&*( show!
    Pot metal? Nope the cap was basically good. Just a hole that needed sealing.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

9. Re: Galley Maid head pump issue

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    Well it better be going into your holding tanks. Check to make sure your vent is also clear.
    Good advice, but the vent being plugged is not enough to prevent the pump from pumping into the tank. Don't ask me how I know. Air compresses discharge water does not.

Well I am calling this one fixed for now. I checked the discharge hose and it seemed clear. I started using the pump and flushing several times a day, resetting breaker as needed. The bow carpet was wet and found the issue to be a loose pvc fitting on the suction side (big line) of the pump, concealed behind an access panel. I reglued the pipe thinking maybe it was sucking air and causing the tripping. Well it still tripped 3 or 4 more times but I kept using the toilet excessively thinking that maybe something in the motor was still rusty. The pump had been noticeably quieter than the other two. It finally got louder, sounding more like the others. About that time it quit flipping the breaker. I have run it well over a minute without it tripping on several instances. I plan to keep using it to exercise it. Hopefully all will be good.