Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Galley Maid head pump issue

I have the original Galley Maid 32 volt head pumps on my 55c. The forward head had a "dead short" or so I thought when I bought it. Immediately tripped breaker. Took the pump out and there was no debris, string, etc holding the motor but it was stiff to turn. Took home to the bench. Took stators and covers off. The stators were half dry rotted and some residue on the rotors that seemed to have them "stiff" to turn. Cleaned up and applied 36 volts from some 12 volt batteries I had. The motor spun freely so I ordered new stators and seals. Put it together and spun fine on the bench for a few seconds. Didnt want to run dry. Installed back on the boat and it drains bowl and puts water back in. Trouble is after 10-15 seconds it still trips the breaker. I can reset breaker and pump 5 seconds or so indefinitely without tripping but anytime I hit 15 seconds max the breaker trips. Sea strainer is clean. Anyone have any experience with this or suggestions?

Re: Galley Maid head pump issue

I had one like that. It drew high amps and would pop the breaker after it ran for a bit. I ended up having it rebuilt at a local motor shop.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I had one like that as well. Sent it in to be rebuilt. I also switched out the breaker, it became weak and tripped easily.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Thanks for the help. I will try swapping breakers and see what happens, If not out again

I had one rebuilt locally. Lots cheaper and easier than shipping that beast.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

6. Re: Galley Maid head pump issue

I have the same problem with our backup 32 volt water pump. How much was the rewinding/ repair?

7. Re: Galley Maid head pump issue

Its worth mentioning that I had this problem once with a head pump when the discharge line was clogged. You can see pretty easily if this is happening by looking at the discharge line....

Quote Originally Posted by MVCaprice View Post
    I have the same problem with our backup 32 volt water pump. How much was the rewinding/ repair?
    I must like you because I dug through a pile of paper and came up with $190.97 last June.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    I must like you because I dug through a pile of paper and came up with $190.97 last June.
    I don't know what shape your motor is in, but I'm betting mine was worse.

IMG_8090.jpg
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

10. Cool Re: Galley Maid head pump issue

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    Attitude is everything. Thank you!