Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Tickin Time Bombs?

Considering this 1989 38......

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1989...g#.WpL-LejwZPY

Got a couple Detroit buddies that said to run away quickly! The engines in this boat are tickin time bombs cuz the horsepower is turned way up.
    What do you guys think? And does anybody know this boat?

Thanks!
    "Yachtzee"
    1976 36C Hatteras
    Catawba Island, OH

Re: Tickin Time Bombs?

A customer in Daytona had 3500 plus hours on a pair before he rebuilt them. They were starting to lose a hundred rpms at wot and a bit of extra smoke.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Some of my friends back in Baltimore had these TIBs on larger boats which probably meant they worked harder. Their view was expect 2000 hours on them. My son had them in a 46 Silverton and they were tight, no smoke. I'm not sure of the hours, but could find out if you want.

Bobk

A dockmate had a pair in an Ocean 45. Seemed to run fine, but very sensitive to HX fouling/overheating. My friend was constantly cleaning them.
    Looking for another boat...not a Hatt

5. Re: Tickin Time Bombs?

At least they aren't 53s. Our old 871 TA's only made 485 per side. Those are definitely tuned! I'd check the coolant and see how much they smoke if your seriously looking at the boat.

BTW, All Detroits are ticking time bombs IMHO. Haven't been made in many years. Hard to find service shops. They all smoke. Uggh!

6. Re: Tickin Time Bombs?

Quote Originally Posted by fissioneng View Post
    A dockmate had a pair in an Ocean 45. Seemed to run fine, but very sensitive to HX fouling/overheating. My friend was constantly cleaning them.
    That makes sense. HX probably was designed for +-300HP and now its 170% of capacity.

7. Re: Tickin Time Bombs?

The only Detroits that are "ticking time bombs" are the ones that have not been taken care of with regular and proper maintenance. If you see nasty oily engine spaces full of nasty oily rusted engines, the owner is not taking care of the machinery no matter who manufactured them. Those are the "ticking time bombs" you want to stay away from.

The 485 TIBS are at the edge. I would have to know the detailed maintenance history and, just as important, how much fuel has been run through them before I would commit to a set.

Just my opinion. YMMV

8. Re: Tickin Time Bombs?

Quote Originally Posted by kelpy View Post
    The only Detroits that are "ticking time bombs" are the ones that have not been taken care of with regular and proper maintenance. If you see nasty oily engine spaces full of nasty oily rusted engines, the owner is not taking care of the machinery no matter who manufactured them. Those are the "ticking time bombs" you want to stay away from.
    Jimmy lovers!

I have just been getting spoiled by new Volvo IPS and MTU powered boats lately so It's hard for me to want to crawl back into our 37 year old engine room!

9. Re: Tickin Time Bombs?

One should be able to walk around, crawl around and lean over the machinery and not get dirty. The age of said spaces and machinery should not make much difference.

Those 2000 and 4000 series MTUs are spectacular engines. Volvos not so much due to a bad experience with them a number of years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by kelpy View Post
    One should be able to walk around, crawl around and lean over the machinery and not get dirty. The age of said spaces and machinery should not make much difference.Those 2000 and 4000 series MTUs are spectacular engines. Volvos not so much due to a bad experience with them a number of years ago.
    I second that.
    Attached Images
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC