Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

RUST STAINED Anchorlift windlass

Anyone here have any experience with an Anchorlift windlass? My slip neighbor (52 Hatt CPMY) has one and likes it. Looking at somewhat affordable rope/chain windlass options. Trying to round out eclipse of original purchase price spent on my boat this season.......

UPDATE: 3 month old new Anchorlift Windlass is rusting and has no manufacturer's warranty due to purchase on the internet from a "non authorized" dealer BEWARE!
    Attached Images
    Last edited by SeaEric; 11-02-2013 at 09:02 AM. Reason: UPDATE
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Re: Anchorlift windlass

I have installed a couple as replacements. Comparable to Lewmar.

I looked at at them and while the initial price sounded good, I was concerned with additional accessories. Switches and controls are not included. When compared to a Maxwell, which is a ready to go product, the final price is not all that far apart.
    1986 52 Convertible
    Island Son

What windlass do you have now? Most can be rebuilt.

If starting from scratch, take a look at the "Good" brand windlasses which are much beloved by their owners, American made with good service. Or step to an Ideal, ditto on all counts.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

Nordhavn use Maxwell, which I think are also USA made. Figure in deck repairs in the install, I suspect.

Maxwell is a New Zealand company. They are good, no doubt about that. But just because Nordhavn uses them doesn't mean much based on my observations.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

Hi All,

We installed a new Maxwell RC10 rope/chain (3/8 & 5/8 respectively) on our 48YF in Jan 2008. Awesome. Extremely well made, powerful, never failed us. I believe it was appx $2k at the time but a very worthwhile investment.
    Gene
    Former Owner 1974 Hatteras Yachtfish
    Glittering Image

Hull # 50
    Total Production 1972-1975 Sixty Four

Quote Originally Posted by lumina View Post
    Hi All,

We installed a new Maxwell RC10 rope/chain (3/8 & 5/8 respectively) on our 48YF in Jan 2008. Awesome. Extremely well made, powerful, never failed us. I believe it was appx $2k at the time but a very worthwhile investment.
    The one on my boat is a Maxwell had to take the thing off and fiberglass around it. There was a seal that had leaked and was eating into the hull. Looked in the rope locker could see the salt around the electrial parts turning crusty.There was a gasket that gave way the windless was about 3 years old as best i could tell. Just a little info for you might want to check it. Tim

Hi All,

Tim, how do you like the unit itself ?

P.S. will check the gasket next time I get down to the boat.
    Gene
    Former Owner 1974 Hatteras Yachtfish
    Glittering Image

Hull # 50
    Total Production 1972-1975 Sixty Four

Quote Originally Posted by GJH View Post
    What windlass do you have now? Most can be rebuilt.

If starting from scratch, take a look at the "Good" brand windlasses which are much beloved by their owners, American made with good service. Or step to an Ideal, ditto on all counts.
    The windlass that I have now is strictly rope only. I think it's either a Good or an Ideal. The lack of the ability to use any chain is not Good and is quite far from Ideal.

I will look at the "go withs" when I price out the Anchorlift brand. Thanks to all for your input!
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"