Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Re: Painting satellite TV domes

Appliance white enamel from Lowe's shined up nice and glossy. Took the opportunity to run a little glass around the inside as I found the start of some cracks around the flange. Still shining since last spring.

BTW, painted my painted air horns with same stuff two years ago and the finish still looks great. Too bad my boat isn't avocado green which was popular when Aslan first splashed.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Make it Harvest Gold. It’s a great contrast. 😂😎👍
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Thumbs up Re: Painting satellite TV domes

Seven, looks great, sometimes stuff like that is the hardest to paint. In a previous life I was a automotive painter, nice work! Get er done! Maybe I have to fly you out to the east coast to help with my refit!

I’d love to be flown to the East Coast but you will have to fly the guy who painted the domes as well. Had to be honest with you. I tried it once, another friend tried it as well. Both times it was ok. This time I asked a friend who paints cars and motorcycles for fun to paint them. He sanded them with 1200 grit until it was baby smooth. Then applied 2 coats of white followed with two coats of clear. I’m sure he would love the trip. Try to make it around a boat show. LOL. Thanks for the compliment.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Talking Re: Painting satellite TV domes

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    There's metal in Awlgrip and Imron? Who knew...........

With what we pay maybe its gold.
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

I used white Rustolium primer and paint on my sat dome and replaced the decals about 6 years ago. Looks factory and still looks nice. No issues with reception.
    Mario
    1972 58' Hatteras Yachtfisherman
    Siboney

Talking about Decals, I saw a guy replace the Furuno decal with the name of his boat. It looked really good. Anyone’s thoughts on that?
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I've been planning to do that when I get a chance to clean up and paint the array, but like most of my projects it's got a lot of things in front of it.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

9. Re: Painting satellite TV domes

I would be surprised if any paint had more than a 3% signal impact.

On a related note I had a bit of a seagull problem and just added some bird spikes to the dome and it seems to be working ok so far . In retrospect I probably overdid it. If I have any signal problems i'll thin them out.

20180219_232034071_iOS.jpg
    Last edited by MVCaprice; 02-26-2018 at 06:10 PM.

Nice lightening rods.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC