Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Re: Does anyone know the 61' CPMY in Vero Beach?

Nobody uses Chloride to ballast tires anymore. How about beet juice?

https://www.rimguardsolutions.com/be...hy-its-better/
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Having endured stability section classes twice (100 and 200gt)... yes I know weight matters as well as where the weight is located

Most of the engine weight is actually fairly high above water line so it probably won't take much ballast if any to correct any weight removal

The worst when it comes to stability is actually a sportfish with all the weight up top plus the windage
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Riddle me this: If a Sportfish is worse, then why do so many MY have stabilizers as compared to sportfish?

Seems like a MY especially an old Hatt MY would have a higher CG than any sportfish. And on your boat, Pascal, you now have the galley up top. That has to have moved a bunch of weight up higher. I doubt its enough that you would have a problem, but it all adds up and you are also changing engines, gears, and moving bulkheads down below.

Any speculation here is just that on any of these modifications on your boat or this 61. I would say don't take a chance, get the engineering done if you move, add, or take out a significant amount of weight. Its going to be a REALLY bad day if you capsize because its not going to be on a calm day. Its going to be when you get caught in something you know you shouldn't be out in.
    Last edited by SKYCHENEY; 02-24-2018 at 10:13 AM.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Remember that 70 foot Hatt MY that ran on the beach in Fl. With the drunk captain and then it capsized on the beach. It would be interesting to know if that boat had been repowered with lighter engines and if so did that contribute to the capsize or if it was just wave action alone. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

I was referring to sportfish With full towers. Couple of years ago we were at Staniel cruising along with a late model Viking 74 tied right behind us. There was a little westerlies and it was a bit exposed. We were fine on the Johnson 70 skylounge (a top heavy boat...) but the Viking was rolling to the point some people came to sleep on the couch

As to why more MY are stabilized, well for comfort obviously but many newer SF now have gyros. Not going see these on older boats...
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett View Post
    Remember that 70 foot Hatt MY that ran on the beach in Fl. With the drunk captain and then it capsized on the beach. It would be interesting to know if that boat had been repowered with lighter engines and if so did that contribute to the capsize or if it was just wave action alone. John
    Theee is no doubt it was surf action... the boat was sitting on the sand. In the surf
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

As to why Sportfishers do not have stabilizers, I know my fishing friends would hate to loose any speed that the drag of stabilizers would have. If you follow this forum, lots of threads talk about tweaking an extra knot out of these boats. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Plus, I know little about fishing but I believe a lot of time can be spent drifting or reversing when fighting a fish. While active fins can be upgraded to zero speed (with bigger fins = more drag), stabs need to be centered when reversing...

If these guys don't want to loose a quarter knot by having a bow rail, most won't ruin their macho image with sissy stabilizers
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Regarding the weight issue, I see that this boat, 61 CPMY , was offered by Hatteras with 8v92's. Those engines seem to weigh about 200 lbs more than the Cummins. So those boats are already several thousand lbs lighter in the engine dept than the ones with 12v71's, did Hatteras ballast those boats to make up for the loss? Does anyone know of any instability issues with 61 CPMYs that were sold with 8v92's?

Quote Originally Posted by RonNP View Post
    That is a lot of ballast to add. Each original engine weighed 4925 lbs x 2 = 9850 lbs
    The new ones are 2153 each x 2 = 4306 lbs

By taking out the Detroits you lost 5,544 pounds.

That is a lot of lead to add to a boat.
    AFAIK, 8v92's weigh in at around 2400 lbs and they were original equipment from Hatteras. This means that repowering with the Cummins would only lighten the engine room by about 1.5 mother-in-laws.