Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Re: Does anyone know the 61' CPMY in Vero Beach?

Quote Originally Posted by rtrafford View Post
    Great call. But it's only a one way trip.
    You can get more rum once you reach the Bahamas. I said it's he's a dock queen / condo.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

For very similar money I would be looking at the 1987 63 in Jacksonville, unless those pictures are extremely deceiving and not indicative of the current condition?
    Nightingale - 1984 Hatteras 56 Motor Yacht

1.4 cubic yards of concrete will do the trick.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    1.4 cubic yards of concrete will do the trick.
    Thats about 280 gallons. Could fill both crap tanks full of pea gravel mix and pump all waste overboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightingale View Post
    For very similar money I would be looking at the 1987 63 in Jacksonville, unless those pictures are extremely deceiving and not indicative of the current condition?
    I was aboard her today and she is as nice as the photos indicate. The only concern are the engines: 4500+ hours..... A recent compression test showed the compression to be from 440 to 460 psi on all cylinders but number 1 on the right bank of the stb engine which was 430psi. The surveyor noted that minimum was 425psi. I also have an oil analysis from May 2017 should anyone know how to interpret it.

I was told that the boat was used as a trawler for most of its life, that is, it was mostly run at hull speed. Current owners, husband and wife both, are former USAF from Colorado, so I assume they knew to blow out the carbon periodically.

Comments......?

ask for more oil analysis. trends are much more important than 1. you are looking for wear metals increasing.
    personally, I would lean toward a non-doctored one that would be easier to sell in the future, and negotiate some engine reserve $$.
    engines are just $$. Unless you figured out a weight solution on the other.....

British merchant ships came over on the great circle route with ballast stone in the keels to the US, only to be removed (and made into streets in our port cities in the south), and replaced with heavy cotton. So the concept of compensating for keel weight has been going on for 200+ years in just this example.

Calcium chloride as used in heavy equipment is about 11.5 Lbs/gallon, so a bladder tank in each engine room of 250 gallons, and problem solved. Mixed with water onsite. if it leaks, likely the bilge pumps work fine. won't freeze ( or at least anywhere I would take a boat)
    there is still a lack of original power, but that may or may not bother you.
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750

2 or these are about $1k from this vendor.
    https://readycontainment.com/product...water-bladder/

and you would still have quiet engines.
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750

I'll stick with lead.

Winchester, Remington and others make easily stacked weights.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Yes a lot of weight was taken out but I wouldn't ASSume that it is a bad thing. These boats are very heavy to start with so a few thousand pounds isn't going to make it dangerous or uncomfortable

Let a face it, most of these old underpowered hatts are run at hull speed and when pushed they barely get on plane burning a ton of fuel. I faced the same decision with my 53 and decided to actually upgrade the HP because the cost difference was minimal when adding up all the costs. Not because I was going to really use the extra speed

On longer trips I find hull speed to be actually nice and relaxing. Even on a big quiet modern motoryacht it s enjoyable even if I don't pay for the fuel
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Weight matters no matter what you think. Even more in a motoryacht with narrow width.

The second the cob and cog bit the tip moment your done.

For those who don't want to bother reading I think tbis picture shows it well at a basic level.
    Attached Images
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.